Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FTF's exciting new project

Volunteers needed for an exciting new Family Tree Forum project

We are looking for co-ordinators to help establish regional teams of FTF members, initially for England and Wales.
    We have divided the countries into eleven different regions, as shown on the map below.

Region 1 - North West: Cumberland – Westmoreland – Lancashire - Cheshire

Region 2 - North East: Northumberland – Durham – Yorkshire

Region 3 - West Midlands: Staffordshire – Warwickshire – Shropshire – Herefordshire – Worcestershire

Region 4 - East Midlands: Derbyshire – Nottinghamshire – Lincolnshire – Leicestershire – Rutland – Northamptonshire

Region 5 - Eastern region: Norfolk – Suffolk – Cambridgeshire – Huntingdonshire – Bedfordshire – Hertfordshire – Essex

Region 6 - South West: Cornwall – Devon – Somerset – Dorset

Region 7 - South East: Hampshire – Surrey – Sussex – Kent

Region 8 - Southern:Gloucestershire – Wiltshire – Berkshire – Oxfordshire - Buckinghamshire

Region 9 - London/Middlesex

Region 10 - North Wales: Anglesey – Caernarvonshire – Denbighshire – Flintshire – Merioneth – Montgomeryshire

Region 11 - South Wales: Breconshire – Cardiganshire – Carmarthenshire – Glamorgan – Monmouthshire – Pembrokeshire - Radnorshire

Map source: Map of the Counties of Great Britain

Last edited by Elaine ..Spain; 20-03-08, 13:32.

Why do we need regional teams?

The idea is that the regional co-ordinators will organise their own regional team of members who would be willing to help with different projects. The co-ordinators could establish the teams in a variety of ways, for example, by personal knowledge as to who lives in their area, by looking at the wiki to see who has previously offered help, by spotting county locations on avatars or by posting on the site asking for volunteers – in fact by any means that you can think of!

The regional team co-ordinators would provide a point of contact for the SCAD team and the initial task to be covered will be to help with the collection of images for the Places of Worship project.

Looking to the future we felt that the regional teams could be used for other purposes, such as providing local history information, or may be doing a county article for the magazine.

We realise that the regions are very large and we are not expecting the regional team co-ordinators to do all the leg work – their main role is to muster support amongst other members and co-ordinate what is being done. As such it could be a suitable job for someone who is housebound or who has no transport. We envisage that there would be at least 4 co-ordinators for each region.

Regional co-ordinators could also become a point of contact for the members, for example if someone wanted a photo of a building in a particular county, or some specific local history information, they could contact the regional co-ordinator who in turn would see if one of their team members lived in the relevant locality.

If anyone is interested, rather than posting their offer of help on this thread, could they please send a PM (personal message) to Family Tree Forum by clicking on the Family Tree Forum name to the left of this post and selecting "send a private message". Please indicate which region you are volunteering for. It would also be helpful to have a rough idea of where you live.

Our plan is to give the project a three month trial and then re-evaluate at the end of that period. If it works it should be great for the site, but we need your support to get the project under way.

We have emptied our inboxes so there is plenty of room for all your offers!

If you have any questions then please post them on this thread or send a pm to Family Tree Forum and we will do our best to answer them.

Comment

I'm shocked to see the Isle of Wight as HAMPSHIRE on your map!

We are a separate county!
      Alison

Researching:
      CAVE, CUCKOW/COSHOW, DAKIN, GILBERT, GINN, HUXLEY, LEATT, LETTEN, PATTERSON, PERRY, PORTER, SOMMERVILLE, WEEDON, WHITING
      http://www.authonomy.com/ViewBook.aspx?bookid=1025
      http://www.authonomy.com/ViewBook.aspx?bookid=2650

Comment

The map shows the historical county boundaries, rather than present day.

Are you volunteering for the south east region Allie?
        Elaine

Comment

Hi Elaine
          Well I would but it's not really convenient to do anything from the IOW! LOL!!

What is involved?
          Last edited by allie island; 17-02-08, 19:06.
          Alison

Researching:
          CAVE, CUCKOW/COSHOW, DAKIN, GILBERT, GINN, HUXLEY, LEATT, LETTEN, PATTERSON, PERRY, PORTER, SOMMERVILLE, WEEDON, WHITING

Comment

Allie they have always put the Isle of Wight in Hampshire, it is only recently that it has been a seperate county.
            Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

Originally posted by WendyPusey View Post
              Allie they have always put the Isle of Wight in Hampshire, it is only recently that it has been a seperate county.
              Yes Wendy I DO know that LOL!!

It was just that they are asking for co-ordinators NOW not in 1841 :D
              Alison

Researching:

Comment

Allie - What is involved? at this stage, whipping up enthusiasm from your islanders to contribute pics of local churches.

Did I just see you nod and say ''yes. I can do that'' then?

Just do like I am here
                Last edited by Jessbowbag; 17-02-08, 19:25.
                Jess

Comment

I was going to go out when the weather is better and take some photos of churches.

Don't want to be a co-ordinator though.
                  Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

Originally posted by WendyPusey View Post
                    I was going to go out when the weather is better and take some photos of churches.

Don't want to be a co-ordinator though.
                    Same here!
                    I'm useless at whipping
                    Alison

Researching:

Comment

We have had a few positive responses but we need a lot more.

Don't forget that we are trying to get at least four co-ordinators for each region, so you wont be working on your own.

We have said that we will give the project a three month trial - the same applies to anyone volunteering - give it a go for a couple of months and if you don't feel able to continue then you can back down.
                      Elaine

Comment

It really depends on how quickly we receive the offers of help.
                        We need to ensure that we have a sound structure in place before we proceed with the project.
                        Elaine

Comment

Erm 'scuse me.............where's Cleveland? are we banned, ignored, not wanted........sob!...........

Comment

Is it north of Watford Barbara?

We have used a historical map rather than a present day one.
                            Elaine

Comment

Lol I like that Barbara ,,,Elaine Cleveland is the North East of England Middlesbrough Stockton Redcar Guisborough etc or old Teeside
                              borobabs passed away March 2018

Comment

Dinnae worry Barbara I dinny exist either ;)
                                Julie aka Royal Wattle cat ;)

“Feminism is the radical notion that women are human beings.” Cheris Kramarae

Comment

I know I have relatives who think you fall off the world if you go south of Sheffield, but REALLY!!!!...............SNIFFS....

Comment

Sorry Barbara! Have found it on the map - Region 2 North East.

Just to show there are no hard feelings how about volunteering to help with the project!
                                    Elaine

Comment

Go on Barbara I have for the boro and this end of the area ;;
                                      borobabs passed away March 2018

Comment

eeeeerrrrrrrrmmmmmm, I can't drive and I don't originate from round here but I'll help if I can.......( I hope I don't live to regret this.!)

Comment

Working...
                                        X