Confessions of a cheapskate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Confessions of a cheapskate

I thought I'd take advantage of the 14 days free trial on Ancestry. I can't remember when I last used this, but well over a year ago.

Alarm bells should have rung, when the first screen already showed some personal details.

Ancestry told me, politely but firmly, that I'd already had my freebie, and I couldn't have two.

Now, I will ultimately get my laptop up and running. I'll get a new credit card in a couple of months.

With a new email address and new credit card, will I still be refused?

I know this sounds pathetically mean, but I can view everything I need at Kew, with the exception of the 1901, which is the GR version and a ****** pain, when it condescends to work.
    Phoenix - with charred feathers
    Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

you could use the library,I am sure most have free access now to Ancestry.

]Please note that images I restore are only temporarily kept on photobucket

[/B]FOR RESTORATIONS PLEASE SCAN ALL PICS AT 300-600 dpi

ALAN

Comment

I managed to get 2 trials, using first my own name, then OH's. I have had a full sub (in his name) for 3 years now.

Have you tried deleting all your cookies (or at least the ones relating to ancestry, if you're brave enough to look at them all)

warning: this will probably also delete any "keep me signed in" instructions you have set up, so I hope you know all your passwords.
      Vicky

Comment

Thanks, Alan. That's worth a thought... though my local council is too strapped for cash to afford Ancestry but I could get to SoG in due course.

Yes, Vicky, I did wonder about deleting cookies. Last time I attempted this, my computer wouldn't let me - this is work, not home. I just wondered whether Ancestry would reject me on forename/surname postcode basis.
        Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

When I got the free trial 2 days ago I had was logged on and searching and thought just go for it clicked to see image and it offered me a free trial. I had one back end of last year so don't know if the time span makes a difference?

Comment

Thanks, Linda. I'll chance my arm when I'm all set up. I thought it was probably 18 months since I last tried. If you've had two bites of the cherry, they can't be using postcode, though they might use user name. I know last time I did it I created a new email address to prevent spam emails!

Comment

Phoenix.......try a different version of Ancestry. Maybe the World on or UK Heritage.

I had a current UK sub with six months left and one of our local newspapers had a half price sub offer. So I rang Ancestry and upgraded my sub from UK to UK Heritage. It cost me AU$75 and because I upgraded they refunded the six months I had left on the ordinary UK sub. That was AU$85. Good hey!!!

Comment

Working...
              X