No announcement yet.

WW1 Medal Index cards on ancestry now!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WW1 Medal Index cards on ancestry now!

*drops everything and rushes over to investigate...*
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Thats why its on the go slow - they must be updating system

*pushes kite out of the way to get there first* ;)
    Vikki -
    Researching Titchmarsh and Tushingham

Comment

Too late, Vikki, I already downloaded some! The quality looks lovely, better than the ones on TNA, plus you get both sides of the card.
      KiteRunner

Comment

why can't I find the ones I want?

I got some from TNA but they aren't coming up, have I missed something?
        Vikki -

Comment

Aaaarrrggghhh!! Best forget about the ironing then :D

Comment

Originally posted by vikki brace View Post
            why can't I find the ones I want?

I got some from TNA but they aren't coming up, have I missed something?
            I'm finding the same, Vikki. :(

Chhristine
            Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Off to have a look.

Comment

It seems they are being loaded in two stages. The one I really wanted to look at the back of is there but the back is blank, sadly. Now I have to try to remember what other ones I want to look at...
                KiteRunner

Comment

where does it say that :(, why do they do that
                  Vikki -

Comment

*chuckles happily .... found 6 so far!*
                    Elaine

Comment

Well, I only saw that mentioned on the Great War Forum, Vikki, I think they said they got it from a report in the Telegraph.
                      KiteRunner

Comment

The two I'm interested in are missing as well.

The database isn't shown on the Ancestry front page yet, so maybe they haven't finished uploading everything yet. There are only 315 people called Smith, and I would have expected a lot more.

Comment

There was a report in the Guardian about it - but I didn't read the detail before coming into work, so I'm not sure if it mentioned the two stages bit.

Even in a two-stage upload, I'd have thought I'd have found mine: Billington and Christmas being early in the alphabet.

Christine
                          Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

:p to Elaine

Thanks Kite, just seaching Ancestry and there is no mention about it being uploaded in stages. But out of the 12 I have from TNA (6 per sheet) none of them are coming up so i'll just have to wait
                            Vikki -

Comment

I haven't found anybody either :o

Comment

Oh, I bet this one is my relly:
                                Frederick C Bristow 65442 deserted 1.11.16
                                Still a deserter
                                Disch.

Seems to have got his medals, though. There's a bit I can't quite read just now and I have to go and get my daughter from school.
                                KiteRunner

Comment

I haven't found my grandfather's yet, and I downloaded that fron the TNA.
                                  Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

Originally posted by Georgette View Post
                                    I haven't found anybody either :o
                                    To be fair, out of the 6 I have found, I already have 4 of them which I had downloaded from TNA!
                                    Elaine

Comment

found the article in the Telegraph

Website hosts Britain's First World War records - Telegraph

it does say in 2 stages :(
                                      Vikki -

Comment

If they have the backs, this must mean that Ancestry have re-filmed all the cards from scratch.

There was a huge hoo-ha after TNA put the cards online to start with, as it was argued that the backs were as potentially important as the fronts, and the plan was to scrap the cards. I think that TNA simply digitised the microfilms they had.

This must mean that the occasional card that wasn't microfilmed will turn up, while a few that were subsequently misplaced for whatever reason will not appear.

But this is such good news. Especially since those medal cards must have come as a huge disappointment to many people who paid £3.50 and then wondered what on earth they were looking at!
                                        Phoenix - with charred feathers
                                        Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

Working...
                                        X