Save it while you can!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Save it while you can!

Trawling the web last year, I came across a will for sale of an Elizabeth Strangleman. It was far too expensive to purchase, but the abstract showed she had been Elizabeth Jarvis and mention of Taylor beneficiaries suggested she might even have been the Elizabeth Taylor who married my rellie Stirges Christmas Jarvis.

She was.

Today's thread about wills reminded me of her, so I Googled. Of course, the original advert has disappeared.

I had forgotten the name of her second husband. Luckily, Elizabeth Jarvises are actually fairly thin on the ground. More luckily, Strangleman is a once seen, remembered name.

Googling again, armed with her surname, has thrown up: not the will, but my expression of delight on this site, caught by another search engine!!

I am very lucky in that her second husband wasn't Smith, as I do have a fighting chance of getting the will now, but this is an object lesson in what happens if you don't note down all your sources asap!
    Phoenix - with charred feathers
    Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Easily done, Phoenix!

You're sure you'll go back and have a look later - and you'll certainly remember all about it!

At least you managed to recover the situation. Hope you find the Will, OK.

Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

That's the problem, Christine. I'm saving it for a trip to Holborn and I ought to have neat little to do lists for each repository. Ought is the operative word!

Only at the weekend, I was looking at some very old notes, only to realise that I didn't have Stirges's sister, another Elizabeth, on one of the censuses. There were 15 children, and it is so easy to forget about one or two!
      Phoenix - with charred feathers
      Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

I ought to have neat little to do lists for each repository

Me too, Phoenix, me too!
        ~ with love from Little Nell~
        Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

You might want to try using Google Notebook (see this page). If you see something interesting while browsing the Web, you can highlight the part you're interested in and save it for later recall (even if the original page disappears). You can also have (I think) as many different notebooks as you want for different topics - e.g., genealogy, recipes, book reviews, computer info, etc... And the best part is that since your notebooks are stored on Google, you can call them up from any computer with Internet access.

I've been using Google Notebook for the past year and find it very useful.

HTH -

Tim
          "If we're lucky, one day our names and dates will appear in our descendants' family trees."

Comment

Canadian Cousin--

:Dthank you for posting this information about the Google Notebook option-- I have never used that , however I certanly will now!
            Thanks, Patbee
            Forever will be "digging" for ancestors -

The new Gadd Family Tree--there are 6 highlighted family lines now! We are growing!!

http://gaddfamily.tribalpages.com
            no password required.

Comment

Working...
            X