1841 question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1841 question

I have been looking for Margaret Cooton in 1841.I know she married Thomas Radley in December 1841.They say they are of full age,but she was 20.She was born in Tarleton,Lancs.,and he was born in Tarbock,Lancs.On the marriage cert.they both say that they live in Tarbock,and he is a labourer.
    I could not find Margaret under the name Cooton nor under the name of her supposed father(Twist),nor could I find Thomas-BUT-I have found Thomas Radley(25)Marg.(don't think it's Mary)with Ann(9m)living in Liverpool.
    I know that lots of people pretended they were married.
    I looked for any Thomas Radley with a wife Margaret or Mary in 1851.There were two with wives Mary Ann.Both these Thomases were born abt.1822.I think he was born abt.1820,but his death cert.indicates he was born in 1814.
    The problem-The Thomas in 1841 is 25.
    It looks as though Thomas and Margaret say they were born out of the county.
    There is no sign of Ann in 1851,nor can I find a death for her.
    Thomas says he is a mariner.

Could these people be the ones I am looking for? Is there anything else I can do?
    Thank you for reading.I hope I have been clear enough.
    Fran

This might be the birth reg for the child:

Births Q4 1840
    Radley Ann West Derby 20 818

There doesn't seem to be a reg under Cooton or Twist in the right place. They were not living in West Derby district in June 1841, but West Derby district does border with Liverpool District.

Comment

Shouldn't have said Liverpool,sorry.It was Halewood.They were married in the Parish Church,Huyton.
      Fran

Comment

I was only refering to where they were living in June 1841

Comment

Originally posted by fran View Post
          I think he was born abt.1820,but his death cert.indicates he was born in 1814.
          The problem-The Thomas in 1841 is 25
          What makes you think he was born about 1820?
          In 1841 ages for adults (over 15) were supposed to be rounded down to nearest multiple of 5 so Thomas "aged 25" could have been anything between 25 and 29 on 6th June 1841- ie born between June 7th 1811 and and June 6th 1816 which would fit the age on his death certificate.
          Last edited by JudithM; 19-02-08, 15:00.
          Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

His estimated year of birth is 1820 in1851,
            1820 in 1861,
            1821 in 1871
            These years seemed to me to be pretty consistent,so I thought it odd that he would be 25+ in 1841.
            Fran

Comment

Could it be in those censuses he told white lies about his age to make the age gap between him and his wife less? (think you said she was only 20 on marriage)
              Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

Margaret only appears on one census-1851.He is a year older than she is.In 1881 he is a widower and year of birth is still 1820.By 1871 he has married a widow whose estimated year of birth is 1834,so perhaps he wasn't too bothered about an age gap!
                The widow could have been right of course.
                I have just found an Ann Radley in 1851, born about 1842,which makes her a bit young to be their child,with grandparents Thomas Radley and Mary,in Tarbock.
                Fran

Comment

I wouldn't pay too much attention to either the age given in 1841 or on Thomas' death cert. They can be wildly inaccurate. I've found two separate branches of husband's family where all the ages were out by 20 years, and I've also had death certs where the age has been out by as much as 10 years.
                  ~ with love from Little Nell~
                  Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Just to prevent anyone going to any trouble-the Ann Radley in the post above with grandparents is not the one on the 1841.I have managed to trace through to finding her with mother and stepfather.
                    Any other ideas?
                    Fran

Comment

Working...
                    X