Phoebe Skillings Bird - advice please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Phoebe Skillings Bird - advice please

Poor little Phoebe was born in 1874 and died in 1882. Both in Aylsham rd, Norfolk.

Her one chance to appear on the census was in 1881. There she is shown as aged 15, daughter of John Bird, living in Wood Norton.

I am fairly sure this is her, despite the huge age disparity, because with her is Frederick Bird, aged 13.

The 1891 has Frederick, aged 13, grandson of John Bird.

The census enumerators have not done well by this family. The ages of the children n the household in 1881 vary hugely from earlier and later censuses. Birthplaces are equally suspect, though all local.
    John's wife appears as Mary, Elizabeth and Leah on censuses 1861 - 1891, but her dob is constant and her pob is given as Elmham on thre censuses, so I think this is the same woman.

Phoebe could be the daughter of
    • Mary/Elizabeth/Leah and John Bird
    • Martha Bird
    • George Bird (and possibly Matilda Alison)
    I cannot find any Skillings connection as yet. Nor can I find a convincing marriage for John Bird. Is it worth getting a birth certificate for Phobe if the most likely mother is Martha - which just tells me that some Skillings lad was playing away!
    Phoenix - with charred feathers
    Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Have you seen the baptism on FreeReg?

Phoebe Skillings bap 19 Apr 1874 All Saints, Wood Norton, Norfolk.

Mother Martha Bird a single woman.
    Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

There is also a burial for Phoebe Bird 3 April 1882 All Saints, Wood Norton, Norfolk, age 8 years.
      Wendy

Comment

Thank you, Wendy! You've just stopped me wasting £7!
        Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

There is a lot for Norfolk on there now. You might find that mariage you were looking for.
          Wendy

Comment

It looks like a lot, Wendy, until you realise how many flipping parishes there are in Norfolk. I only found Phoebe in the first place by listing all the parishes in Aylsham RD - about 50 of them - and looking for likely entries. A lot of the things they have on Freereg have been available for a long time, just in different formats.

At least the baptisms show John's wife as Elizabeth Leah, which is a start.

Comment

Oh yes i know about all those parishes!!!lol

I was born in Norwich. There are loads of churches just in Norwich, and many, many more all over Norfolk.

Glad you found the marriage.
              Wendy

Comment

Phoenix

Norfolk Transcription archive

page for Wood Norton gives 3 bastardy orders but none for your Phoebe.
                ~ with love from Little Nell~
                Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Thanks for reminding me, Nell.

My Norfolk website of choice is Honor Jones's - sadly hacked into, but the Wiki has got a link to a copy. This is so good for the area I am interested in, that I tend to forget the others, even when I stray slightly out of region.

Interesting that those bastardy orders are post 1834, so under the new poor law.

Comment

Working...
                  X