Help reading occupation please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help reading occupation please

I probably shouldn't be attempting research they way I am feeling, but I can't stop myself!!!

Can anyone read the occupation for Robert Bristow in 1851 please

it says Town something?

HO107; Piece: 1539; Folio: 656; Page: 9

Thank you
    Vikki -
    Researching Titchmarsh and Tushingham

looks like town traveller , but that makes no sense
    Jess

Comment

I agree, (it may make no sense now, but he knew what he meant). Could it be traveller in the travelling salesman sense?

Comment

Thanks, not very helpful, and I can't seem to find him again to match it against :(
        Vikki -

Comment

He's got the same occupation (transposed as Traveller Town) in 1861, where Ancestry has him transcribed as BRISTON, though BRISTOW is reasonably clear.

RG9/253 Folio 67 Page 31

Christine
          Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Googling "a town traveller" brings up various other census records where people were listed in other sources (other censuses and trade directories) as commercial travellers.

Comment

Thanks for finding him in 1861 Christine, I said I shouldn't be doing research today.......:o

my brain has left me
              Vikki -

Comment

They're here in 1871:
                RG10/490 Folio 5 Page 3

Robert doesn't seem too bothered about consistencey in his declared age. But it's the same occupation.

Christine
                Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Thanks for looking that up Merry, why he couldn't just say that!!:(
                  Vikki -

Comment

Originally posted by Christine in Herts View Post
                    He's got the same occupation (transposed as Traveller Town) in 1861, where Ancestry has him transcribed as BRISTON, though BRISTOW is reasonably clear.

RG9/253 Folio 67 Page 31

Christine
                    Living in the same street as in 1851
                    Vikki -

Comment

In 1881 he's in the workhouse, and describes himself as a silk weaver - or someone described him that way!

Hannah's a lodger - a shirt maker.

Christine

Comment

Slow down Christine, I can't keep up;)

Thank you so much for your help
                        Vikki -

Comment

It was an enjoyable way to pass my lunch-break.

Hope the trail is continuing to go smoothly for you?

Christine

Comment

Sadly no, I have given up on them for today, will have another go when my mind is less muddled
                            Vikki -

Comment

Would you like me to carry on looking for them? I was a bit worried that I was doing a bit of a takeover, and spoiling your fun.

Christine

Comment

Thank you for the offer, but I should be ok, and I don't mind people taking over.

Oh by the way, I forgot to thank you for your help, you found a reference to a Francis Coghlan of Dublin on TNA site for me, well I sent off for it and it was the right one and also explained why his children were born all over the Mediteranian (sp)

so THANK YOU
                                Vikki -

Comment

There's a character sketch on a Town Traveller in Punch.
                                  Punch - Google Book Search
                                  Phil
                                  historyhouse.co.uk
                                  Essex - family and local history.

Comment

Originally posted by vikki brace View Post
                                    Thank you for the offer, but I should be ok, and I don't mind people taking over.

Oh by the way, I forgot to thank you for your help, you found a reference to a Francis Coghlan of Dublin on TNA site for me, well I sent off for it and it was the right one and also explained why his children were born all over the Mediteranian (sp)

so THANK YOU
                                    That's great, Vikki! :D

It's so exciting when you get some more detail than the basic framework of BMD, and some detail about one person sparks off a whole lot more about others.

Thanks for letting me know it was so useful!

Christine

Comment

Working...
                                    X