Scottish Census Look Up Please 1851

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scottish Census Look Up Please 1851

Has anyone got access to the images for Scotland in 1851 as Ancestry hasn't.

Please can you look at Martha Silker b 1835 England living at 87 Havannah Street, Civil parish Glasgow College Lanarkshire - she is a lodger.

Could the image say Martha Silvestor?

Thanks
    Sara

Researching Clarke, Malpass, Flavell, Bate in Gornal / Sedgley and Hingley, Herring, Wainwright, Parker Stourbridge / Kingswinford

Sara, you should be able to look at the image on Scotland's People -

Official government source for Scottish genealogy, census and family research - ScotlandsPeople

You do have to buy credits for that site, but if any of our members looked at the image on there for you then they would have to use their own credits.
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Kite.

Please do not take this the wrong way. But what is the difference between someone using credits to do a look up on a site and someone doing a look uo on Ancestry. Ancestry has to be paid for as well
      Pam

Comment

Pam - in case KiteRunner doesn't see your query -

Ancestry offers an annual sub and therefore unlimited look-ups are covered by the all-in price. Scotlandspeople doesn't offer that option and only offers pay per view. Therefore, to see the search results and open a census image costs a minimum of 6 credits, ie £1.20.
        Gillian
        User page: http://www.familytreeforum.com/wiki/...ustGillian-117

Comment

Hi Gillian.

Thanks for that. Have never used Scotlandspeople, but do use Ancestry, and have never minded doing look ups for anyone. Its all about helping each other .
          Pam

Comment

Pam, we all love helping each other on this site, that's what it is here for. But since the only way to look at Scottish census images online is to use credits on Scotland's People, it is usually best for people to do that for themselves rather than another member using up credits they have paid for, don't you think? As Gillian says, ancestry has all-inclusive subscriptions so it is very unlikely that somebody is going to use up a pay-per-view credit on there doing a lookup for somebody else. And of course, once you've looked at one thing on Scotland's People, you almost always have to look at something else anyway!
            KiteRunner

Comment

I have access to SP and a few credits left, so did a check in 1851 census-- I can find no record of her as either Silker or Silvestor,or any other variation -sorry---- but then-- I am a novice when it comes to using this site--Patbee

Originally posted by Cherub View Post
              Has anyone got access to the images for Scotland in 1851 as Ancestry hasn't.

Please can you look at Martha Silker b 1835 England living at 87 Havannah Street, Civil parish Glasgow College Lanarkshire - she is a lodger.

Could the image say Martha Silvestor?

Thanks
              Forever will be "digging" for ancestors -

The new Gadd Family Tree--there are 6 highlighted family lines now! We are growing!!

http://gaddfamily.tribalpages.com
              no password required.

Comment

Don't know if this will be of much help.

Using the free search on SP site
                Searching for Martha Silker Lanark Glasgow
                no boxes ticked - no result
                soundex box ticked on Silker 2 results one aged 20 and one aged 56
                using no soundex but * with Si* no result --- the soundex second letter is not I.

Searched for Martha Silvestor no result for whole of Scotland
                Using soundex on Silvester there is 1 age 32 - don't have the time to find area, but it's not Lanark- Glasgow or Glasgow City

Jan

Comment

Sorry, had to go to work. Thanks all for your replys.
                  Sara

Researching Clarke, Malpass, Flavell, Bate in Gornal / Sedgley and Hingley, Herring, Wainwright, Parker Stourbridge / Kingswinford

Comment

Sara, most likely her surname has been completely mangled by ancestry. The best way of finding her on Scotland's People is probably to note down the names ages etc of the other people on the same page as listed on ancestry, then search for them on Scotland's People and when you have found the right page that way, view the image.
                    KiteRunner

Comment

Working...
                    X