Do I renew or not on GR?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do I renew or not on GR?

What are the going rates at the moment? I had a feeling I'd seen more than one rate doing the rounds. I think I may have got the reasonable one.

On the other hand, I haven't liked the way they've been drifting... all rather We Know Best, and You Can't have got a Computer Virus Here, and We Don't Ever have Problems on Our Site and such like.

I have to decide before the end of today!

Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

I have to say that my addiction is fed pretty adequately by this site, with Ancestry, FMP, ukbmd.org.uk and the like!

The only things I consider it useful for now are (annoying as they can be) HotMatches to alert me to some Maybes, being able to initiate contacts and being able to view other trees. I'm not sure that that's enough to justify a sub.

Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

I've just renewed Christine because I've been finding good new contacts there lately.

You have 4 weeks to make up your mind before the price goes up from £9.95 for 1 year to £9.95 for 6 months.
      Gillian
      User page: http://www.familytreeforum.com/wiki/...ustGillian-117

Comment

They e-mailed me last week and said it was £9.95 for 6 months!! - no mention of a yearly price!
        Joan died in July 2020.

Comment

Originally posted by Just Gillian View Post
          I've just renewed Christine because I've been finding good new contacts there lately.

You have 4 weeks to make up your mind before the price goes up from £9.95 for 1 year to £9.95 for 6 months.
          Thanks, Gillian

That's what I wanted to know.

I'm inclined to think that it's just about worth it for 12 months, but certainly not for 6 months.

Christine

Comment

Christine, I definitely wouldn't have paid it for 6 months!

Joan - if your initial membership was for 6 months at £9.95, then you only have the option to renew at £9.95 for six months . If it was for a year, you should be able to renew for a year.
            Gillian
            User page: http://www.familytreeforum.com/wiki/...ustGillian-117

Comment

Christine when they told me i had to renew for 6 months i emailed them saying hang on a minute im not paying for 6 months at that price and they extended it to a year. It is always worth an email or phone call as they can move the prices.
              Jen

Comment

The only things not available to you if you don't renew are seeing other trees and contacting people youself. You can still reply to contacts and get hot matches (although you may not be able to contact them - you would have to hope they contacted you!)

I decided not to renew and have had several good contacts since then. I left a skeleton tree on there but do not normally open it - all my contacts have been happy to exchange info by email. Like OC, I find its mostly me giving info - but that's OK.

Anne

Comment

If you have continuous membership, they renew it at £9.95 for a year.

I've just renewed mine, because I've got a lot of really good contacts on there.

Comment

I would definitely renew it I have so many contacts on there its well worth it .

Comment

I'm just pondering the same thing but was inclined to not renew due to the fact they don't appear to tell me anywhere on site or in the renewal email how much they're charging me

I'm rarely on there these days and don't often get god contacts from anywhere
                      Zoe in London

Cio che Dio vuole, io voglio ~ What God wills, I will

Comment

Zoe where it says your renewal is due at the top if you click on that part it should tell you ,,,I have just done it £9.95 yr but only as I have access to so many trees etc I have had 26 good contacts from there ;;
                        borobabs passed away March 2018

Comment

I didn't have many enduring contacts on GR, but those I did have I took onto my email address and now contact them that way.

As I never open my tree anyway and don't want to look at anyone else's tree, that suits me.

OC

Comment

I have just received a reminder that my sub will be automatically renewed unless I contact GR, it is for a year. My friend who has recently joined paid the same price for a 6 month subscription
                            I have had some very good contacts, one is a first cousin that I had only met once in my life as a child but for the last 3 years we have been in contact daily. We have researched together and made progress that wouldn't have been possible without each other.

Sadly she has a terminal illness and we still have a couple of mysteries that I would loved to have solved for her to complete the hard work she has put into the research.
                            Like OC I have most of my contacts email addresses.
                            Kathleen

Comment

I decided to renew, after all, but it was a close-run thing. I certainly wouldn't have done so at the £9.95-for-6-months price.

I decided, on balance, that there was just enough to make it worthwhile. People do change their e-addresses, and don't always remember to tell everyone - so it wouldn't be difficult to lose touch with a valued Contact that way. Every so often there's another possible link which comes up. It has the advantage akin to "industry standard" of being well-known, so people tend to gravitate there - if they haven't discovered other nicer places! ;)

I still don't like their habit of "helpful" defaults:
                              • opening your tree on first contact, unless you untick the box
                              • going for continuous membership, unless you go into My Account and change it back - which I did - again :( - having changed it to that last year.

Christine

Comment

Christine I'm sure it used to be the other way around; that you had to tick the box to show your tree to others. I don't like it either and have felt that I am being tricked into showing my tree but I dont see where GR would gain by it.
                                Kathleen

Comment

Years ago i would have jumped to say yes. And now i must say my reply is a definate no, from my personal opinion that site has offered me nothing constructive for a long time. I think the company now running it is more interested in profits rather than the genealogy aspects, they have been given more than enough time to repair any glitches in there systems. They wont see another bean out of me.

Comment

I certainly agree with that, and serious genealogy researchers are in a minority on the site, but you can still make useful contacts. I've found two living second cousins and other more distant relatives who had lots of interesting information, and especially photos of ancestors of mine. It would have been worth paying the sub just for the photos.

Comment

Originally posted by samesizedfeet View Post
                                      I'm rarely on there these days and don't often get god contacts from anywhere
                                      So, even further back than Adam and Eve then
                                      Rose

Comment

Originally posted by Kath nr the Crooked Spire View Post
                                        Christine I'm sure it used to be the other way around; that you had to tick the box to show your tree to others. I don't like it either and have felt that I am being tricked into showing my tree but I dont see where GR would gain by it.
                                        There was a brief spell a couple of years ago, I think, when they acknowledged that the default should be "unticked" for that box, but they switched it back at the next "upgrade". :(

It's just important to remember that it's a commercial site, not a cooperative. They'll opt for whatever they think is best from their own business perspective. It can be a useful site if you happen to strike lucky. To be fair, the busier a site is, the more chance of being able to match names.

Christine

Comment

Working...
                                        X