Almhouses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Almhouses

Looking on the 1871 census I have found OH's 2x grandfather aged 70 and a widower living in a Almshouse. Under the profession bit, it says 'Receipiant of ..... ...... (can't read that bit) Charity. He is living in this house on his own. Most of the people living in these houses are either widows or widowers but not all some are married couples.

Does anyone know anything about Almshouses and how one would qualifiy to live there?

Sue you might find some information on this site. A friend of mine was a resident Chaplain at Almshouses in Worcester for a few years.

The Almshouse Association
    Daphne

Looking for Northey, Goodfellow, Jobes, Heal, Lilburn, Curry, Gay, Carpenter, Johns, Harris, Vigus from Cornwall, Somerset, Durham, Northumberland, Cumberland, USA, Australia.

Comment

Thanks Daphne I will take a look.

Comment

Sue

It depends. I have a gt x lots grandfather of OH who is in Aske's almshouses in Hoxton, which were built by the Haberdasher's company. But as far as I can find out, OH ancestor wasn't a haberdasher, but a clock maker!

I also had a gt X 3 grandfather Robert Chowns, who spent over 20 years in an almshouse endowed by a benefactor in the 15th century. Robert was a labourer/gardener and I don't know how he got alloted a place in the almshouse, but it had 12 residents and they got 1 shilling a week to buy meat, new shoes at regular intervals and had allotments where they could grow their own veg, as well as a chapel for prayers every morning.

If you give us the census ref perhaps we can see what the charity was, which might help.
        ~ with love from Little Nell~
        Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Thanks Little Nell, I'm off to work now but I will post the census ref later.

Comment

Hi Little Nell, Finally i'm back from work, I had a days holiday yesterday so I had to play catch up today.

Anyway the census is 1871 RG10 Piece 1753 folio 16 page 24. His name is John Glyde. Hopefully you can make out what is says.

Comment

It's Tooleys and Smart's charity almshouses
              Borin Van Loon: Ipswich Historic Lettering: Almshouses

Comment

HI

I think it might be something to do with Tooley & Smart Charities

My reason for this is possibly evident in this link

The parliamentary gazetteer of ... - Google Book Search

If the link worked correctly pay attention to the first main indent paragraph starting with the words "Other principle" where it goes on to mention a Henry Tooley.
                WendyP

Comment

Suffolk Record Office, Ipswich branch has Henry Tooley's almshouse 1882-1953: trustees' log book, register of almshouse inmates and accounts
                  ~ with love from Little Nell~
                  Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Wow thank you all thats great you obviously have better eyesight than I do:(

Comment

Working...
                    X