my sister-in-laws family driving me crazy Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• my sister-in-laws family driving me crazy Help

It seems which ever way I turn I seem to find problems with this family. I am tracing Alice Bigwood born 1896 Bromley by Bow. I have her marriage/cert which shows her father as William, occupation is shown as Army Transport(genereal Labourer) exactly as I've written it.
    I found Alice on 1901 census RG13; Piece: 349; Folio: 142; Page: 31. and found that her mothers name is Elizabeth. I cannot find a marriage recorded between a William Bigwood and a person called Elizabeth and cannot see them on a previous census. I did see a William living with a wife called Emily J and have children with the same names but their birth years do not match,
    RG12; Piece: 322; Folio 97; Page 24. This must be a different family what do you think? Williams occupation is also different but Emily shows same place of birth as Woolwich Kent same as Elizabeth. I am confused and tired of looking going to have a cuppa be back soon
    GWEN

Originally posted by Gwen@coggiecorner View Post
    I did see a William living with a wife called Emily J and have children with the same names but their birth years do not match
    Their ages do match, don't they?

William 36
    Elizabeth 36
    Annie 18
    Minnie 12

1891:

William 26
    Emily J 25
    Annie 8
    Minnie 2

Comment

The main location for BIGWOODs as you get earlier seems to be Wiltshire - though I do have a bunch in Sussex.

I think Merry's probably right. Without looking at the images, that does look a tempting set of names. It's possible that Emily J is Elizabeth; it's also possible that Emily J died and William married (or took up with!) again to a woman of much the same age.

Christine
      Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

I thought at first that some of my lot ended up in London, but I can't see, now, that they did.

Christine
        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

This is probably the marriage. I can't see a death for Emily Jane.

Marriages Mar 1882
          BIGDEN Emily Jane Stepney 1c 649
          BIGWOOD William Stepney 1c 649

Comment

1. What Alice says her father's name/occupation is on a marriage cert may or may not be true.

2. Elizabeth on census in 1901 isn't necessarily Alice's mother.
            ~ with love from Little Nell~
            Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

have you got her birth cert?

this looks likely:

Alice Bigwood
              1896 Mar
              Poplar 1c 613
              Zoe in London

Cio che Dio vuole, io voglio ~ What God wills, I will

Comment

and this may be EMily Jane's death

Jane Bigwood
                Estimated Birth Year: 1859
                1900 Dec
                Poplar 1c 334
                Zoe in London

Comment

Emily Bigden in 1881

RG11; Piece: 499; Folio: 92; Page: 38

Just trying to work back to see if it helps work forward again
                  Zoe in London

Comment

Emily in 1871

RG10; Piece: 1632; Folio: 23; Page: 42

transcribed as Brigden
                    Zoe in London

Comment

Thanks to everyone and sorry for the long delay in replying I've had trouble with the Computer. I'll have to send for Alice's BC but thought I would try and put her family together before I did. I find it a bit of a coincidence that both Emily and Elizabeth were born in woolwich kent and wondered if she was calling herself Emily. I feel they are the same family but will have to wait and see who Alice's mother is.
                      Thanks again
                      GWEN

Comment

update

Well received Alice bc this morning and it confirms that Emily Jane Bigden is the mother of Alice and WilliamBigwood the father. I suspect Emily died and he just lived with Elizabeth.
                        Once again thanks to everyone for their help
                        GWEN

Comment

Did Emily Jane have any sisters???

I have (in paternal tree) a situation where John STRATFORD married Hannah GARDNER, who died, and he took up with her younger sister, Elizabeth - whom he would not have been allowed to marry - who was my father's ancestor. Her death was registered as "Mary Elizabeth STRATFORD", but her burial as "Mary Elizabeth STRATFORD, properly called GARDNER".

Christine

Comment

Sorry forgive me but I do not see the connection with the family Bigden.
                            GWEN

Comment

I had thought (without wading through a re-read of the thread) that "Elizabeth" and "Emily Jane" had the same PoB?

If not, then my remark doesn't work as an illustration for this situation at all, and is only worth keeping in the back of your mind in case it crops up elsewhere.

Christine

Comment

Working...
                              X