street history

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• street history

Has anyone ever researched how and when a row of houses were built/ street name came into existence? Any advice as to how to go about it please?

Thanks
    Barbara

well,

where I live we guessed that the time of our house being built would be to coincide with the colliery being sunk. (1874). Perhaps some local history sites might help, you can often find out little snippits that way. I suspect also that trade directories might help, not sure whether you mean stuff you can find online or by going to the archives, Perhaps the local Library might be able to help?
    Julie
    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Oh

if it is a street name, perhaps contact the local council? they should be able to help.

I know our Street was renamed, from what it usedto be called, but not sure when, All I know is that in the phone book, there are some of my neighbours with the old name and its still in the phone book today...
      Julie

Comment

hi Julie

I'm trying to confirm/disprove one of those family "myths" for OH's family.

There is a street in Whitwell known as Malthouse Row. Bolsover District Council suggests that these were either cottages for workers at the Maltkilns or the original Malthouse, and that is the line followed by the local history group.

Family legend has it that the father of a great great uncle built that row, his name being John Malthouse:(

As a starting point I need to work out when the row was built I think - but really don't know where to start.
        Barbara

Comment

hmmm,

just having a quick google.. do the census show any of the malthouse row or otherwise? I would have a look at maps of the area, (Library?) and see if they are on any of those.
          Julie

Comment

In the process of checking that Julie. The row is definitely there in 1881 on the census, but obviously I'm trawling through the others t osee if I can spot a "start" date

Unfortunately the enumerators in Whitwell didn't always put anythong down other than "Village":( so I'm trying to do a "walk" at the same time
            Barbara

Comment

There's John G Malthouse living in Whitwell in 1881. He's a mason. Are the cottages brick or stone?? :D

Comment

Thanks for the thought Merry

There are certainly stone cottages down that road, and that Mr Malthouse is the distant rellie who is reputed to have built them.

I had a picture a few minutes ago, but can't find it again now:(
                Last edited by Barbara Dodds; 18-02-08, 13:49.
                Barbara

Comment

There is a picture of some of the cottages at

http://www.bolsover.gov.uk/PDF/5%20W...t%20Ap%204.pdf page 37

Local building material is pink limestone. I did glance up this road the other night in the darkening and the houses I could see defiinitely appeared to be stone built. I must have a better look (with a camera) in full daylight
                  Barbara

Comment

For information - Malthouse Row was built before the 1861 census, and there is a Malters Row in 1851 (in the right place)
                    Last edited by Barbara Dodds; 18-02-08, 14:30.
                    Barbara

Comment

I found information about some ancestor's houses by reading local history books. Only this weekend I found that the houses my Smoothys lived in in Chelmsford were built to be cheap dwellings in 1812 (when my gt gt grandfather was born) and after being refurbished in 1818 (how tatty could they have got in 4 years!) were let to respectable tenants chosen by a committee headed by the rector. My gt gt grandfather's sister Elizabeth had the tenements as an address on her baptism record in 1820 so they must have been respectable.
                      ~ with love from Little Nell~
                      Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Thanks for that Nell, I'll be checking the local library out again
                        Barbara

Comment

Working...
                        X