what cause?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what cause?

What does this mean as a cause of death.

:o Didn't mean to post this so soon,

This is from a death cert from 1976 and i understand it to mean that there was some kind of deposits in the lung. Hubby thought death was pnemonicosis(sp) or asbestosis, would this be likely for a coal miner as late as the mid 1970's.

Thanks for looking
    Attached Files
    Last edited by jozy; 18-02-08, 09:26.

Jozy

Cancer hole of the lungs

Certified by J M(?) Coverdale Coroner of the ??? District of ?????? after post-mortem without inquest.

(That's what I see written there , but think I've misunderstood your question.)

Jan
    Last edited by deletejb; 18-02-08, 10:12.

Comment

I originally thought it said Cancer, holes of the lung as you say but the first letter of the second word is very like the letter b when signing 'by the coroner'.

I looked up cancer boles of the lung and found something refering to mineral deposits, mesotheliomas, amphiboles, etc all too technical for me to understand

???? District of Yorkshire, that much i know for certain.

I just thought it seemed odd for a underground coal miner to have died from asbestosis. Hubby does remember him having terrible black cattarh after coughing spasms. I thought that there were better safety precautions by the '70's, but i suppose the damage was already done to his grandfather, during the 30-40 years he spent down the mines.years

Thanks all the same.
      Last edited by jozy; 18-02-08, 10:26.

Jozy

Comment

just for the others so they can see it abit better.

I would say it does mean Holes of the lungs, as someone that worked down the pit, could have pnemoconiosis(sp) and possibly asbestosis as well. who knows the sort of stuff they were breathing in down there. The C of cancer and the C of certified is the same so no question there. is there any chance you can get the image bigger? Jozy?
        Last edited by Darksecretz; 18-02-08, 11:37.
        Julie
        They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Pneumoconiosis was/is an extremely common cause of disablement and death among coal miners. Nothing to do with asbestos, but related to inhaling dust. There was/is a Pneumoconiosis Panel, whose findings were regularly reported in the Rotherham Advertiser when I were a lad. They decided on the degree of disability and amount of compensation.
          Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

It does look very clearly like a "b".

The bole of a tree is the trunk up to where the main branches fork. Could it mean simply the first lung tubes before they start to fan out?

Christine
            Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Amphibole fibres, 'boles' for short, come from asbestos. People who have worked with asbestos and inhaled the fibres can get these in their lungs.
              Stella passed away December 2014

Comment

Originally posted by Stella View Post
                Amphibole fibres, 'boles' for short, come from asbestos. People who have worked with asbestos and inhaled the fibres can get these in their lungs.
                I'd have expected that to be "boles in the lungs" rather than "of the lungs"?

Or is that just an obscure medical sentence construction? (I'm not a medic, so I don't know.)

Christine
                Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Don't know the answer to that Christine. Was this person actually a coal miner, because there was such a thing as asbestos mining many years ago. South Africa had a lot of asbestos mines.
                  Stella passed away December 2014

Comment

Thanks for all the comments.

Yes he was very definatly a coal miner in the South Yorkshire coal fields for the whole of his working life. A larger (physically) than life character, known locally by everyone who was controlled by his petite wife for the whole of their married life.

I would love to have met him.

Jozy

Comment

Cancer boles or bolus are cancer masses or growths.
                      Daphne

Looking for Northey, Goodfellow, Jobes, Heal, Lilburn, Curry, Gay, Carpenter, Johns, Harris, Vigus from Cornwall, Somerset, Durham, Northumberland, Cumberland, USA, Australia.

Comment

Geordie Girl,

Thanks for that. I was wondering if I was reading more into the cert than there was. It's a term I'd not seen before so set me wondering if it described something in particular.

Jozy

Comment

Thanks, Geordie Girl

Unless you know the word is used like that, it doesn't necessarily make sense.

Christine

Comment

I believe that asbestos-related cancers can take many years to develop, so it doesn't mean he was in contact with the material recently before his death. Pneumoconiosis is very common amongst miners. Not sure why the death cert didn't state that, rather than Boles of the lungs.
                            ~ with love from Little Nell~
                            Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Nell

Asbestosis is a notifiable disease and one which leads to compensation claims. If it's not on the death cert, then no claim can be made.

A friend died of asbestos-linked lung cancer about ten years ago. His only contact with asbestos was during WW2.

OC

Comment

Image says:-

Cancer boles of the lungs
                                Certified by J M Coverdale Coroner
                                for the Claro District of Yorkshire after
                                Postmortem without Inquest

Comment

Originally posted by Jools in Scarborough View Post
                                  Image says:-

Cancer boles of the lungs
                                  Certified by J M Coverdale Coroner
                                  for the Claro District of Yorkshire after
                                  Postmortem without Inquest
                                  Can't think where Claro is. I lived near Rotherham until I was 19 and it means nothing to me at all.
                                  Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Claro is in West Yorkshire.
                                    ~ with love from Little Nell~
                                    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Originally around the Harrogate and Ripon area. However, the Claro Coroners District covers a lot wider area and includes Craven, plus parts of Harrogate and Selby.

I think (though stand to be corrected) that the area was originally based on the Wapentake of Claro.

Comment

So looks like he had cancer noodles in the lung, and there was no attempt to find the type or cause of the cancer. Or as there was no inquest, the certificate was issued before the histology was done (or maybe it was never done because the coroner decided against an inquest).
                                        Mavis
                                        Dust is a noun, never a verb;)

Comment

Working...
                                        X