Which Betty?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which Betty?

Visited Lancs.Record Office the other day.I was hoping to solve a problem,but it wasn't to be!
    I know that Margaret Cooton(various spellings) was born Tarleton and was illigitimate,born around 1821.
    Found what I believe to be her birth and baptism on Lancs.O.P.C.-birth 7-9-1821,bap.7-10-1821,mother Betty.It seems that Betty has named the father as Richard,but the vicar has crossed this out.In 1824 Betty Cooten married Richard Twist.
    The problem is that there are two Betty/Elizabeths-one born 1800,who would have been 21 when Margaret was born,and the other in 1787,who would have been 34 in 1821.
    Betty and Richard Twist had several children after marriage:
    Alice-1824
    John-1826
    James-1827
    Elizabeth-1829
    Jane and John were both baptised 25-12-1830.
    As there are no Twist baptisms before 1824,I presume that Richard did not originate in Tarelton.I have found a Richard Twist born in North Meols in 1899,which if he was the one who married in Tarleton probably married the one born 1800.
    I thought I would be able to find them on census returns,but have had no luck.
    I would be very grateful if someone could locate Richard and Betty so that I can get their ages.Also any suggestions please.
    I do hope this is the Richard I am looking for as I already have some information about the family!Will look in now and again.
    Fran

Have you tried looking for Betty's death and / or burial to see what her age was that way?
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Yes, I have tried to look for a death,but none showing.Tried Betty and Elizabeth and both birth years +/-
      Fran

Comment

What area do you think she might have died in? There is a Betty Twist death in Mar 1840 Chorley district and one in Dec 1840 Stockport district. There are Elizabeth Twist deaths in Dec 1837 and Jun 1840 Prescot, Jun 1840 Wigan and Jun 1841 Liverpool. Any of them likely places?
        KiteRunner

Comment

They could have moved away from home I suppose,but in 1841 I would have hoped to see some of the children with them.
          As for the deaths you found,I m not sure where one place ends and another begins.Tarleton is not that far from Southport and I think some people used the Church at Ormskirk,though I can't imagine why.
          Fran
          By the way,when you asked about deaths I went to ancestry to check again and not one came up!

Comment

Fran, you would need to leave the age out for your search if you are looking that early because age isn't included on the index before about 1867. Where were Richard and Betty's children born?
            KiteRunner

Comment

All their children were baptised in Tarleton,Lancs.
              Fran

Comment

Okay, so if they were still there when they died it would be Ormskirk Registration District. But as you say, they could have moved away from there.
                KiteRunner

Comment

I am hoping that they were considerate enough to live past 1841 at least!
                  Fran

Comment

this could be JOhn in 1861

RG9; Piece: 3124; Folio: 89; Page: 25

what occupation does it give for Richard on the marriage or the baptisms?
                    Zoe in London

Cio che Dio vuole, io voglio ~ What God wills, I will

Comment

I have seen a family of Twists in 1841 in Longton-Penwortham.
                      It could be John.I think I found him in 1851 as a servant.
                      I may also have found James with wife Mary and Ann-9 months.
                      I have no occupation for Richard unfortunately.
                      Fran

Comment

Fran, the baptisms for Richard's children should tell you his occupation. Have you looked at the actual parish register entries for their baptisms?
                        KiteRunner

Comment

Sorry,was having a senior moment.Richard Twist was a labourer.I think that Richard's parents were John and Alice.As I mentioned in a previous post there are some Twists in Longton in 1841.I have just had another look and notice that they are John-70,Alice-75,Alice-15 and Betty-11.I am probably clutching at straws,but Alice,John and Alice match the people I am looking for,but not Betty-11.
                          Fran
                          Just realized that Betty-11 could be Elizabeth born 1829
                          Last edited by fran; 18-02-08, 14:59.

Comment

Working...
                          X