Filling in the Gaps.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Filling in the Gaps.

I'm trying to find what happened to a son of 5x great grandfather.

Coniston, Lancashire.

David Benoni RIGGE or KIRKBY.

born 10th June 1759, bap 17th June 1759, son of David Kirkby and Mary Rigge. They weren't married.

Mary died 13th May 1760, supposedly of a broken heart.

David Kirkby went on to marry Agatha Sawrey in 1762. He did not publicly admit the baby was his, but was forced to pay 500 pounds to Mary's father William Rigge in 1760 after Mary's death.

As Rigge and Kirkby are common names to say nothing of William and David, I can't tell if I have the right person in marriages or burials.
    I know the baby David did survive childhood as he is mentioned in a book as "well educated although he did not attend Sandys School at Hawkshead".
    I'm presuming his grandfather brought him up.

So.....can anyone tell me where I would start. I have checked the Hawkshead entries for marriages for David junior, without success.

Did David's grandfather leave a will? If so then it might mention some details that would help.
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

I didn't think of will!!!!Duh!!!

I can't find any wills for his father David Kirkby. That is strange as I have his wife's will.

There is a will for a William Rigge 1787. Just getting that now.

Comment

David Benoni Rigge

Hi

DBR was brought up in London by his eldest uncle John Rigge. At the age of 14 he was apprenticed to Richard Warren, a perfumer of Golden Square, Marylebone Street. After completing his apprenticeship in 1780 he set up in business as 'D Rigge, Perfumer' at 74 Newgate Street, on the junction between Cheapside and Foster Lane. Interestingly, he ran his business only a few premises away from his two half-brothers, David and William Kirkby, who operated a silk manufactory in Foster Lane. Did they meet - or even know of each other's existence?

He took as an apprentice his orphaned cousin John Thomas Rigge (my great x 3 grandfather) son of his uncle William Rigge junior. Afterwards they became partners and ran a perfumery business at 65 Cheapside. DBR married John Thomas Rigge's sister and had two sons and five daughters. The sons and one son-in-law became partners in the business, which DBR moved to 35 New Bond Street, leaving his cousin JTR to keep running the business at 65 Cheapside. It was known as 'Rigge, Brocklebank and Rigge'.

DBR died on 9th April 1846 when he was 87 years old. His daughter Elizabeth married her cousin John Strickland Rigge, eldest son of JTR. This intermarrying of cousins is one of the notable things about the family!

I don't think that the £500 was forthcoming. Instead, the case never went to court and as penance David Kirkby passed to his father William Kirkby two closes of land that he had purchased in Coniston. These were given to William Rigge and I presume the rents and profits were used to pay for DBR's upbringing. After the death of William Rigge and his wife Ann, the two closes became the property of DBR.

Hope this is of use. Which child of David Kirkby are you descended from?

Comment

Dr Sue

Welcome to FTF!

It might be an idea to click on 'Harry's Mum's name and send her a private message as well. This is quite an old thread and she might miss it otherwise.

It just shows how connections can be made from different angles!

Anne

Comment

Hello Sue.....Welcome to FTF.

Thanks to the new LMA records on Ancestry, I've now got a tree for DBR.

DBR's father David Kirkby is OH's 5x great grandfather through his daughter, Elizabeth.

I've always wanted to add DBR to his tree.................well, I did add him, but wanted to add a bit more rather than just a birth date.

I don't suppose you've ever found David Kirkby's baptism???????????

I have his sister's, but have never found his.

Comment

PS...................I understand the intermarrying bit...........Thought they might have stopped that when DBR went to London, but apparently not.

Thomas Strickland is the gg grandfather of Agatha Sawrey, wife of David Kirkby..

Have you read the book about Wordsworth where he explains about Mary Rigge, DBR's mother???

He wrote his first ballad about her.

Comment

Working...
              X