Tuffnell - how cooperation can knock down brick walls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tuffnell - how cooperation can knock down brick walls

I have been researching OH's Tuffnall branch for about 2 years now, but this year has been brilliant!

OH's ancestor Benjamin Tuffnall married Sarah Field in 1808 in St ALbans.

I now have contact with 5 other people all researching Tuffnells/Tuffnalls from Hertfordshire, and it is a brilliant experience.

OH's Benjamin went north, first to Congleton Cheshire, then to Checkley Staffs. Another Tuffnell branch is found in Macclesfield.

A Tuffnell cousin from Macclesfield is found on a census with a Tuffnell from Staffs. When our Benjamin died, the informant is Ann Tuffnell from Macclesfield.

As you see, I live in Hertfordshire. With the help of the other members of our group, we have made great strides. OH and I have been 3 Fridays running to the Record Office in Hertford. The Macclesfield Tuffnells all originate from a Tuffnell family born in Shenley Herts. I have found the baptisms and the marriage of the parents - another Benjamin and Sarah Tuffnell/Tuffnill.

The Macclesfield Tuffnells didn't previously know how they were linked, so this has been great.

I found all the christenings for OH's Benjamin's family in Hatfield. He was the eldest. Also his parents' marriage in Hatfield, and their burials. Obligingly, Benjamin's father was christened as an adult and gave his parents' names. We suspect that he might have been a brother to the Shenley father.

I have also been able to trace one of Benjamin's brothers, and have found his marriage and all his children.

A really important potential link - we believe that the ANN TUFFNELL who was the informant on Benjamin's death certificate was none other than his youngest sibling (born 1800). She married a Benjamin Tuffnell (!!) of Macclesfield. It was her son found staying in Stoke-on-Trent. One of my contacts will be looking for proof next week at Chester Record Office - hopefully the marriage entry!

There is a link with Tring - one Shenley Tuffnell went up to Macclesfield, and then back down to Tring, leaving his family behind. He started a new family in Tring.

The reason behind the move north - the Tuffnells had links with the silk industry and went to Macclesfield to work in the silk mills. The Tuffnell who returned to Herts worked in the large silk mill in Tring.

I am hoping that one day I will find the christenings and parents of the elder Tuffnells - c. 1757, 1759 and 1770 respectively! But even then, they moved about the county.

Without collaborating, none of us would have got this far. It has been a really good experience!
    Last edited by Elizabeth Herts; 16-02-08, 22:07.
    Elizabeth
    Research Interests:
    England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
    Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

thats lovely, and just shows the kind of effort that goes into this FH lark

well done!!
    Julie
    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Thanks, Julie!

It has been really hard work, but hasn't seemed like it, because it's been enthralling (who needs TV soaps?).

A big bonus is that OH has been coming along with me to the Record Office and looking up entries with me. He isn't normally particularly interested, but likes to encourage me. We agree to do 2-3 hours until lunch time, then we go off for a pub lunch! (He has Fridays off as he winds down before retirement).

OH got really excited on Friday - I gave him Sarratt registers to look at because I suspected that there would be lots of baptisms - and there were! He was really chuffed! (He actually suggested going back on Friday).
      Elizabeth
      Research Interests:
      England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
      Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

Silk was quite a trade in Tring at one time.
        Jess

Comment

Yes, Jess, there was a huge mill there. One of my fellow researchers sent me pictures of the mill.

There were quite a few silk mills in Herts - one in St Albans itself.
          Elizabeth
          Research Interests:

Comment

By the way, just a quick comment -

It's crucial to go to the Records Offices, because a lot of the entries I found don't appear on the IGI.

OH's Benjamin Tuffnell, baptised 1783, doesn't appear on the IGI although his parents marriage and some of his siblings do. It seems fairly random.

The Shenley information I couldn't have found on the IGI.
            Elizabeth
            Research Interests:

Comment

Working...
            X