Chair Manufacturers in Manchester

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chair Manufacturers in Manchester

Can anyone advise me how I could find out where my 2xgreat grandfather, James Duffy may have worked?
    He was born and lived in Manchester all his life.
    He was a Chairmaker when he married in 1856; a Chair Manufacturer on 1861 census; Journeyman Cabinet Maker in 1863 when his 2nd child was born; Chain Maker (I'm sure it should be CHAIR) on my ggrandmother's birth cert in 1868 and finally in 1871 Chair Manufacturer again.
    He died in 1878 and was then a Market Porter. The circumstances of his death are a complete mystery which I would love to try and solve.
    Cause of Death was 'Peritonitis caused by an injury to the bowel by a blow but how or by whom the blow was given there is no sufficient evidence.'
    in the Informant column on the cert is:- 'Certificate received from Sidney Smelt, Deputy Coroner for Manchester. Inquest held 9 September 1878.'
    I did a search of newspapers at the library a couple of years ago and could find nothing about any incident that may have caused his death. If I could find out where he worked as a chair maker I may be able to discover more information on him.
    I have tried 'googling' chair and cabinet makers and also market porters to no avail.
    Any advice would be extremely welcomed.
    Lynne

Searching for Ford, Duffy, (Manchester and Ireland) Cree (Manchester, Derbyshire, Nottinghamshire), Owen (Manchester), Humphreys (Manchester and Ireland), Egerton (Manchester and Cheshire), Cresswell (Manchester).

Hi Lynne

Is he listed in any directory.

M g grandfather was a chair maker and he was listed in the Bentley Directory for 1840, in Stourbridge. It seems he did it from his home address
    Pam

Comment

Hi Pam

Thanks for trying to help.

Unfortunately the only online directories for Manchester are in the wrong time periods - one too early and the other too late!!

Pigot & Slater's Directory of Manchester & Salford, 1841
      Slater's Manchester & Salford Directory, 1895
      Lynne

Searching for Ford, Duffy, (Manchester and Ireland) Cree (Manchester, Derbyshire, Nottinghamshire), Owen (Manchester), Humphreys (Manchester and Ireland), Egerton (Manchester and Cheshire), Cresswell (Manchester).

Comment

Working...
      X