Margaret or Mary?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Margaret or Mary?

How likely is it that Mary might become Margaret in parish records?
    I was looking at Youngs, baptised in Goxhill and I found 6 children born to Robert and Mary, between 1768 and 1778 and one, Richard bp 1776, to Robert & Margaret. Richard was the name of Robert's father & there were no Richards born to Robert & Mary.
    Also John Young & Mary had 2 sons, Matt & Thomas, but there is also a bp for a Mary, to parents John & Margaret.
    Goxhill was not a large place, in 1801, it had a population of 596 and there are no other young baptisms at that time.
    I know that I can only be sure, after checking the PRs (although having seen them on Wed, I am not sure how much help they wll be) but does it seem likely that in these cases, Mary & Margaret could have been the same?
    Last edited by Lynn The Forest Fan; 16-02-08, 14:14.
    Lynn

If you have just been looking at transcriptions, then it is quite possible that an abbreviation of Margaret, e.g. Marg, has been misread as Mary or vice versa. Hopefully it will be clearer in the actual PR's.
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

I got the info from Familysearch, so you are right that they are just transcriptions. Mind you the registers are not easy to read, so I would imagine that it would be easy to make a mistake.
      Lynn

Comment

My first thought is that Marg (as abbreviation) and Mary are very easy to misread.
        ~ with love from Little Nell~
        Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Yes, I agree, Marg and Mary are very frequently mistranscribed for each other. But when you look at the PR, you often spot a tiny superscript "t" which gives the game away.

OC

Comment

Thanks Nell & OC, I have now added them to my tree, with the proviso that the record on Familysearch gives the name as Margaret rather than Mary, so I can check it at a later date.
            Lynn

Comment

Working...
            X