Confused marriage entries

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Confused marriage entries

I've looked on ancestry and the genealogist and found these confusing entries.

How quick can you get a divorce?!

Joan C surname removed m. Thomas F surname removed June 1980 Wandsworth vol 15 pagge 863

then Joan C surname removed m Howard J surname removed Dec 1980 vol 14 P659 .

Can't find a death entry for Thomas either, unless missing something obvious?

Guess will have to just order both certs....
    Last edited by KiteRunner; 16-02-08, 13:24. Reason: names of people who may still be living

Kim, I would assume that most or all of these people are still alive unless you know for sure that they are not, so I have removed their surnames.
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Ok but how quick can you get a divorce surely not within 6 months? Unless I suppose could be relatives...

Comment

do youknow that both Joan C's were the same person, or could they be cousins - or two unrelated people?
        Jess

Comment

Well the surname is very rare the districts are next door to each other and they share the same initials... Guess will just have to spend the dosh!

Comment

Maybe the marriage to Thomas wasn't legal for some reason? Though if that is true, I don't think Joan C. (if it is the same woman) wasted much time finding a substitute

But I'd have to get the certs because I am nosey!!
            ~ with love from Little Nell~
            Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

I am certain Thomas was still alive at least until electoral roll on 2005 entries,where I have sen him before . so I don't think she was a widow, I am completely baffled , I have found a website with Joan's second marriage mentioned. I have ordered both certs and will let you know if it is same woman or not , which will be interesting....If first marriage wasn't legal for something like bigamy etc will be maybe something in the local rag....

I suppose it could be they are mother and daughter and the mother got married (late) so daughter could marry in church etc.
              Last edited by Kim; 16-02-08, 18:59. Reason: original not sense.

Comment

i was told when i divorced 1st hubby in oct 2003 that if everything was straight forward and we both agreed on stuff etc we could be divorced in 6-8 weeks. BUT it didnt work out that simple - he argued everything andit cost him loads and was finally settled in april 2004.

so they may have got a quick divorce you dont know.
                **no point asking the living for help as the dead are more helpful!!!**

https://purplerosefamilytree.blogspot.com/

Comment

Yes- I know yo u CAN get a "quickie" divorce, but, I thought you had to be married for a period of time BEFORE you got divorce 6 months or something??? I dunno! we will find out when I ge the certs

Comment

This is current info:

A divorce can only be obtained if the parties have been married for at least a year.

Grounds for divorce:

There is one ground for divorce, which is that the marriage has broken down irretrievably. In order to prove this one of the five following facts must be established:

a)that one party has committed adultery and that the other finds it intolerable to continue living with that party

b)that one party has behaved in such a way that the other party cannot reasonably be expected to live with them

c)that one party has deserted the other party for a continuous period of at least two years

d)that the parties to a marriage have lived apart for at least two years and both are in agreement with the divorce taking place

e)that the parties have lived apart for a continuous period of at least five years, consent not required.

As far as I remember these rules are the same as when I divorced in 1989.

Comment

Thank you Merry ,so its a year minimum , you learn something new every day. Then so it must be mother and daughter thing ..... will wait and see what the certs say. Will be interesting.

Comment

They could have had it annulled. Unlike divorce, you don't have to be married for a minimum length of time, and they can be as quick as 6-8 months.

From insidedivorce.com
                        Non-consummation is usually the primary reason for an annulment, but there are other ways to get one.

Do you qualify?
                        • If one of you was already married at the time of your marriage
                        • If you didn’t give your valid consent to the marriage
                        • If your spouse was under 16 at the time of the wedding
                        • If you weren’t a fully male/female couple
                        • If your spouse had a communicable form of a sexually transmitted disease when you got married
                        • If your spouse was pregnant with someone else’s child and you didn’t know about it
                        • If you didn’t conform with the proper legal requirements – i.e. not filling in forms properly
                        Tracy

Comment

Oh Tracy I didn't know that at all. I am learning lots here... Good innit!:D

Comment

right now I have both certs but still not much clearer to me .

Ist marriage is in May 1980 wandsworth reg office Thomas XXXXXX married Joan YYYYY cert looks normal Joan is a spinster Thomas "previous marriage dissolved"

2nd marriage is in December 1980 Merton reg office -Joan YYYYYYY formerly known as XXXXX (Thomas's surname) Previous marriage disolved married H. C CCCCCC ,prevous marriage dissolved

The occupation of Joan is identical as is the father and his occupation.

So either a very quick divorce- she maybe knew the right people being a solicitor....or the first marriage wasn't legal as Thomas wasn't divorced? or something not q uite right here?

Any other thoughts? Is there a way to clarify this?

Kim

Comment

Maybe this bit wasn't actually true at the time:
                              Thomas "previous marriage dissolved"
                              That might also make her sufficiently upset that she'd look elsewhere for her future.

Christine
                              Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

I am so intrigued by this! I love a mystery and Christine you could be right!

Comment

There are (or used to be) certain conditions that enabled a divorce to be granted in a hurry.

When I was divorced in 1971, it was heard at the High Court (my ex had delusions of grandeaur, lol).

The woman in front of me in court was in a distressed state. She had only been married 6 weeks. The Judge said that he had read the evidence and that there was no need for her to repeat it in open court and that because of the circumstances her divorce was granted here and now.

I have spent the last 30 odd years wondering what her husband had done!

OC

Comment

I am not sure about "previous marriage dissolved". My f-i-l on his 2nd marriage cert has "formerly the husband of D-------- M-------- J---------- from whom he obtained a divorce".

Is dissolution different from divorce?
                                    ~ with love from Little Nell~
                                    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Little Nell, yes my grandfather's 2nd marriage has squeezed in the "Condition" box "previously married to ...... from whom he obtained a divorced" So it could be different.

Interesting though.

Comment

I've just noticed the first marriage is "by certificate" and the second is "by licence" - I thought that applied to church weddings not register offices?

Comment

Working...
                                        X