If a census record shows an alternative name

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If a census record shows an alternative name

I may have found my Elizabeth Rimmel born 1870 on the 1901 census it says name Elizabeth Martin but could be Rimmel
    Could somebody have a nosey please ??
    its in Nottingham RG13 /3177 thanks
    Also can you tell me what it says under the end column looks likes Rond

That's fo 125 p 24
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Val, her name is Martin but it is her married name and her brother is a Harry H Rimmell. Their mother is Marion. Does that match yours?
      KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
      (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

The bit in the end column is "Lond" - it said "Forest Hill Kent" but Kent has been crossed out and Lond written in instead, presumably short for London.
        KiteRunner

Comment

I think the (not unreasonable) assumption has been made that a married woman who is sister of the male Head with surname RIMMEL, probably has the maiden name RIMMEL.

I think the word/mark in the last column may be in a different hand. It looks like Rond - it looks as if it's one of those afterthought comments when they're adding up numbers or simplifying job-descriptions.

Not sure what it means, though!

Christine

Well done KiteRunner - obvious when someone offers the right solution!
          Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

thats the problem I dont know ,she should be with her husband Thomas Rimell in 1901 but cannot find him or her so thought maybe she had left him for a while I could be clutching at straws here .
            I offered to help my friend , and the family are worse than mine if thats possible.
            Thanks

Comment

she married a man from Kentish Town isnt that near ???

Comment

Val, her husband can't be a Rimmell because her surname definitely says Martin!
                KiteRunner

Comment

oh okay then thanks Kite dont know where they are then ,you dont think she'd lie about her name to stop her drunk husband finding her do you ??????????

Comment

Not on the census, Val, plus since the brother is called Henry Rimmell and the mother is Marion Rimmell, then if her married surname was Rimmell not Martin they would be her husband's relatives, not hers, and the name on the census would be the least of her worries!!
                    KiteRunner

Comment

I must sound so daft sorry.
                      I just have been trying to find these two for 2 full days now and am getting bogged down with them,
                      I will give it a rest I think thanks again

Comment

Working...
                      X