Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scanning - what resolution?

H

I have volunteered (!) to scan all my family's slides - and my husband's family's too for that matter. Should take a year or so!

Can anyone recommend which resolution I should be saving them as? I know the higher the better and I only want to do this once ... but don't want it to take a ridiculous amount of time or take up a ridiculous amont of space (although that is of a lesser issue).

Any other advice anyone would like to give before I start also gratefully received.

Many thanks in advance.

Jo
    :D Charney Jo

Well it depends why you're doing it.

If you're doing it to have a complete archive of them and also may want to print them or have them printed in the future then definitely not less than 300dpi.

However, depending on the PC you're going to scan them on and what application you use and how much memory and space you have. The highger the better. I would always scan everything at 600 dpi but it takes up a lot of space and time and is slow.

What are you going to keep the photos/images on? What application are you going to use for scanning?

Maggie

Comment

Hi Maggie

Thanks for the reply. To be honest I am not sure what application I will be using to scan them. Any suggestions? They are to keep as a record and maybe, possibly print.

We wil keep the images on a seperate hard drive (hence space is not so much of an issue).

Thanks again

Jo

Comment

Not Sure Jo,

Lynn Forest Fan had a few slides and got them transferred for a coupla quid.. this is her thread...

I guess it depends how many there are really and IF you have the time and patience to do them. Praps the more you have the cheaper it becomes? I think they put them onto CD/DVD but couldnt say for certain.

sure save alot of headaches
        Julie
        They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Hi Julie

Thanks for the link to the thread. I did see that (it was one of the things that reminded me that I said I'd do it!!) Unfortunately, what with my parents and my in-laws slides I have far too many to pay for them to be done.

I have been cracking on with this today and haven't done too badly. I have scanned about 120 at 600dpi - just another 1000 to go!!!

Ironically I still haven't found any of me - all my mum and dad and sister. I guess I was just born too late for slides

Comment

Working...
          X