Frederick Henry Foster (sorry!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frederick Henry Foster (sorry!)

(further to my recent thread in search of my GG GPs William and Ann Foster)

Brick by brick I have built a brick wall.

I am trying to find the parents of my Great Grandfather Frederick Henry Foster. With help from Kate and Julie I have the information that he was baptised 16/10/1829 in St Mary’s Nottingham his parents being William and Ann. William was a wheelwright.

I have Frederick on all the censuses from 1851 to 1901. He died 12/06/1907 in Twyford near Colsterworth aged 77. He went to the USA in June 1851 and was back and married to Millicent Morris by 1856 when their second daughter Millicent was born.

I thought I had Frederick on the 1841 in East Bridgford with his parents and siblings but his father William was a frame work knitter and the family were still together (including Fred) in East Bridgford in 1851 – so not ‘my’ Fosters.

There is an entry on the 1841 for Ann Foster and Frederick Foster (mother and son?) in Grantham but they are listed as born in county.

I have Fred’s death and baptism but, as far as I can guess, he married in the USA (or maybe he never REALLY married at all…). Julie suggested that I should check for marriages in the UK anyway and I found a Frederick Foster in Lincoln on FreeBMD March quarter 1857 listed with another man and one woman (not Millicent). There is no Millicent Morris for the corresponding timeframe (1854-1860)

I now feel well and truly bricked-up! Where can I go next??
    Rose

HI

I see on the 1871 census that Fred has his father in law with them John Morris aged 77 bn Barrowby Lincolnshire

Millicent being bn in the smae place - have you got her in the earlier census prior to marriage?
    WendyP

Comment

I have Nottingham BMDs and have found the following:

I have a William Foster married Ann Doughty 13/12/1828, St Mary Nottingham

I also have Frederick Henry Foster baptised 16/10/1829, St Mary Nottingham. Parents living Salisbury Square and father Wheelwright.

There is also an Elizabeth Foster baptised 29/3/1835, St Mary Nottingham. Parents living Leen Side and father Dyer.
      Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

Hi Wendy and Wendy

WendyP, yes that is Fred's FIL on the 71. Millicent was born 11 April 1821, baptised Barrowby 20 May 1821. I have her in Grantham (I think) in 51. She is a housemaid in Castlegate aged 29. In 41 I have a Mill Morris in Hougham aged 20, being a FS born in county. Not with her family on either.

Wendy, yes that is Fred's baptism that Kate and Julie found for me. The marriage looks a likely one, will have to ask for a look up to check the occupation (this thought occurred to me while I was hanging out the washing this morning!). Not sure about that Eliz. as I'm not aware of any sibs for Fred at this stage.

I think that Marriage may be the key!

Thanks
        Rose

Comment

Rose,

are you thinkin what I'm thinkin?? doughty? (bells ringin loud and clear here!!)
          Julie
          They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

only that she may have been mis-trans as Dowty (don't know what put that idea in me head:D)
            Rose

Comment

*tuts and smacks own head*

Just re-read the reply from Wendy

*goes to find census with Doughty SIL on it*
              Rose

Comment

Right, I need to get that marriage record lol. I wonder if Hannah could be the wife of a son of Fred's mum from a previous marriage (or illeg).

To put others in the pic, on the 81 Fred has a SIL living with him, Hannah Doughty, widow, 61.
                Rose

Comment

now i'm fuddled... lol

havent got the images here.. what yr did Hannah give as DOB ? 1805? ish. I know where i remember that, but could hannah be Ann's mum?
                  Julie

Comment

on the 81 she - hannah - is 60 so dob c1820 so can't be Ann's mum if Ann married 1828.

*gorraneadache*
                    Rose

Comment

orrrrr, it could mean sister in law as in Step Sister and she could have just happended to marry a man with the same surname as her mmn?
                      Rose

Comment

ok.. me too !! pmsl

so what IF Hannah/Ann are freds mum? and she remarried when Fred's Dad the wheewright croaked? might be why cant find him? in the 41?
                        Julie

Comment

just as I'm on a little bit of a roll here (albeit through treacle..) there is a Chinese takeaway with my name on it waiting to be picked up. Just the job for a cold evening lol.

Will check back later

Thanks for help all

ttfn
                          Rose

Comment

HI

I know you stated that Fred went to the USA at some point did you find anything for Millicent Morris?

Only asking as I did find this bit of info which could be her or jsut a coincidence

Arrived in New York onboard the SARDINIA

Date of Arrival 9th June 1851

Passenger Name Millicent Morris

Age 29

Occ Servant

Port of Departure Liverpool

If you found her in Lincolnshire in the 1851 census how long was a voyage to the US back then?
                            WendyP

Comment

Originally posted by Darksecretz View Post
                              ok.. me too !! pmsl

so what IF Hannah/Ann are freds mum? and she remarried when Fred's Dad the wheewright croaked? might be why cant find him? in the 41?
                              But Hannah Doughty (sil on the 81) was bc 1820 and Fred was born in 1829. Bit young for her to be his mum.

Wendy P, yes that is Millicent. If memory serves me right you should find her dad John there as well (unless I am having a senior moment lol).

I guess they could have set off fairly soon after the census and I think it was a steam ship which would have taken days rather than weeks to cross the Atlantic. I would REALLY like to know why they came back, but I don't expect I ever will unless I can get in contact with another descendet of theirs who may have some papers etc.
                              Rose

Comment

Working...
                              X