Ay offers re occupation?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ay offers re occupation?

On the death certificate of his wife, John G Jones (deceased) appears as a 'Marine Engineers' Storekeeper'.

I think I have the correct census entry in 1901, Piece 3474, Folio 41, Page 3, but it is very difficult to read. It's something to do with the sea and would tie in with the above, but I can't make it out.

If you think he was a mariner with that surname, I fear I may have to reach for the bottle !!

Gwyn
    Freya - a lovely, funny human-friendly disaster waiting to happen....

Sorry but I make it seaman with the word Seas added at the beginning.
    Gillian
    User page: http://www.familytreeforum.com/wiki/...ustGillian-117

Comment

I think the occupation has been recorded as Seaman. The enumerator has then added the word Sea before the word seaman, in a similar way that you can see the words Port and Dock have been added to the other occupations further down the page.
      Elaine

Comment

Thanks Gillian and Elaine - I feared as much :(

Now, where did I put the cooking sherry..............

Gwyn

Comment

Wouldn't an ex seaman make a good marine engineers' storekeeper? He would have an advantage over a land lubber, because he would be likely to know the names of at least some of items in store.

Comment

Just going to say what Roger did. Seaman don't go on for ever at sea and jobs like storekeeper would be ideal.
            Phoenix - with charred feathers
            Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

Could well be - oh dear, looks more likely - two or more scoops of cooking sherry called for !!

Thank you both.

Gwyn

Comment

Working...
              X