X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• British Calendar Act 1751

Just found thish has anyone come across it before,

British Calendar Act 1751

It is important to be aware that until 1752 the New Year began, not on 1st January, but on 25th March (so, for example, the day after 24th March 1700 was 25th March 1701).
    This means that an entry in a church register between 1st January and 25th March would, by our calendar, have taken place a year later than actually recorded. For example, a baptism recorded in the register as taking place on 20th March 1750 would actually have been in 1751 by our calendar. These dates are often recorded in printed transcripts like this: 20th March 1750/1. It's important to be aware of this otherwise confusion can arise.
    31st December 1751 was followed

I found this snippet of info on Birmingham History Webring, another site laid out like this one, but concentrates on Birmingham.

He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

regional co-ordinator South West.

Different calendars can lead to endless confusion. They said on a quiz programme the other day that the battle of Austerlitz was lost because the allies were working from the Gregorian and the Russian Orthodox calendars.
    Entering the dates as found into software programmes, I have plenty of babies dying before they were born.
    Phoenix - with charred feathers
    Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

When you are looking at transcriptions of Parish Registers etc, you can't always be sure whether the transcriber has kept the original year or "corrected" it, so beware!
      KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
      (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

I thought this extract from the commonplace book of Charles William LeGeyt, the first postmaster of Jersey, written in 1824, might interest readers of this thread. His friend Thomas Lempriere wrote him a poem to celebrate his birthday, which he copied into his book. It is a long poem, this is just the final verse.

In view of Capt. LeGeyt's age, I think we should admire the quality of his handwriting and excuse his slight error regarding the date of the calendar change, which was actually September 1752.

The Battle of Minden was in August 1759.

[ATTACH]9083[/ATTACH]
        Last edited by Roger in Sussex; 15-02-08, 19:02.

Comment

Some years ago I was researching an ancestor baptised in 1751 and vaguely remember a story told to me that this change to the Calender caused much confusion and unrest among the 'ordinary' working folk. They genuinely believed that somehow they had 'lost' time from their lives. It's not hard to see why when you think about it.

Regards

Helen K
          Last edited by Lindores; 16-02-08, 01:05.

Comment

oh i was born on the 24 March, does that mean i can also celebrate New year as my birthday and be like the queen ??

Comment

Pat yes you can.

He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

regional co-ordinator South West.

Comment

That is fascinating, Roger - Thanks - I have printed it.
                Joan died in July 2020.

Comment

Working...
                X