Help to work out place of birth please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help to work out place of birth please

I am looking at the records of Julia Gilthorp (nee Mansell) and have found the following for her. All places of birth are given as transcribed on Ancestry, but can anyone make out where (and when!) she was born please??

Julia married Andrew Gilthorp in 1842 (waiting for cert), and the only Julia (or Julie) Mansell I can find in 1841 was born in Nottinghamshire.

1851 abt 1812 Shorgby, Nottinghamshire HO107; Piece: 2129; Folio: 77; Page: 6
    1861 abt 1814 Madley, Shropshire RG9; Piece: 2493; Folio: 27; Page: 30
    1871 abt 1813 Susesbry, Staffordshire RG10; Piece: 3557; Folio: 29; Page: 26
    1881 abt 1816 Shrewsbury, Shropshire RG11; Piece: 3389; Folio: 104; Page: 27 (transcribed as Gilthord)

She died in 1887.

Thanks for your help
    Barbara

Can't see any bapts for a Julie/a at all in Nottmshire, either with Mans*** as mothers surname or fathers..

So looks like shrop she is...
    Julie
    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Thanks for looking Julie

That would seem to point to her being more likely to have been born in Shrophsire wouldn't it? Besides - I'd never heard of a Shorgby in Notts.
      Barbara

Comment

yes me too, I think its meant to be shrewsbury... and thats that way isnt it?? had a look on IGI too.. but that isnt very helpful. :(
        Julie

Comment

I'd noticed there wasn't anything helpful on the IGI. I'll start hunting around the Shewsbury area then.
          Barbara

Comment

Barb,

have a look here, it might be a good starting point.

GENUKI: Shrewsbury, Shropshire
            Julie

Comment

Thanks for the link Julie
              Barbara

Comment

1841 census birthplaces of born in county/not born in county often don't tally with the truth, I've found.
                ~ with love from Little Nell~
                Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Barbara,

I would say she was born Madeley Shropshire Nr Shrewsbury. Today Madeley is in the borough of Telford and Wrekin.

Hope this helps

Sara
                  Sara

Researching Clarke, Malpass, Flavell, Bate in Gornal / Sedgley and Hingley, Herring, Wainwright, Parker Stourbridge / Kingswinford

Comment

These are Mansell baptisms for relevant years in Madeley, from wwwfamilysearch.org, parents Walter & Ann.

ELIZA ANN MANSEL - International Genealogical Index
                    Gender: Female Christening: 10 MAY 1809 Madeley, Shropshire, England

2. JULIEN MANSEL - International Genealogical Index
                    Gender: Male Christening: 11 JAN 1815 Madeley, Shropshire, England

3. THOMAS MANSELL - International Genealogical Index

Unless Julien is really Julia, I wouldn't be certain that this is the right place of birth.
                    ~ with love from Little Nell~
                    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Thank you Sara. Knowledge of an area can be a big help sometimes.

Originally posted by Little Nell View Post
                      These are Mansell baptisms for relevant years in Madeley, from wwwfamilysearch.org, parents Walter & Ann.

ELIZA ANN MANSEL - International Genealogical Index
                      Gender: Female Christening: 10 MAY 1809 Madeley, Shropshire, England

2. JULIEN MANSEL - International Genealogical Index
                      Gender: Male Christening: 11 JAN 1815 Madeley, Shropshire, England

3. THOMAS MANSELL - International Genealogical Index

Unless Julien is really Julia, I wouldn't be certain that this is the right place of birth.

could Julien be Julie Ann do you think? It's certainly an unusual one isn't it.

Thanks for looking Nell
                      Barbara

Comment

Barbara - I haven't got subcription to Ancestry at the mo and maybe you have given up on the Nottingham one but just a thought, could the Shorgby be a mistranscription of Skegby
                        Kathleen

Comment

Thanks Kath. The image does look like Shorgby to me, but that doesn't mean to say he couldn't be Skegby.

Thanks for the suggestion
                          Barbara

Comment

Julien could just be a mis-spelling of Julian - a perfectly normal, if uncommon, male name.
                            Shirley

Comment

Working...
                            X