Honorary Lieutenant?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Honorary Lieutenant?

My great-great-aunt's husband Phil(l)ip Woodrow was an Honorary Lieutenant in the Lincolnshire Regiment when he died in Cairo in 1898. On the 1891 census he is a non-commissioned officer. What exactly does "Honorary Lieutenant" mean? It seems that somebody else was made one in place of him after his death (another non-commissioned officer). Is it the same as Acting Lieutenant?
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Kate

I have had a quick google and it either means they were transferred from a Volunteer force, (thus the honorary status) or it is an alternative description for a second lieutenant in the Army.

I don't think it is quite the same thing as Acting Lieutenant, which implies a temporary stopgap (to me, anyway).

OC

Comment

I should think it would be the second one then, as he was a career soldier. Thanks.
      KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
      (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

An "Acting" rank usually means you've been put on a possibly-temporary promotion to deal with a gap in the necessary hierarchy. If you do well, and no-one else comes along with a stronger entitlement, then the "acting" can become "substantive" (I think that's the right term for that progression).

"Honorary" is associated with not getting the money for a post, or with being given a rank as a mark of respect for work done, but without it carrying the associated authority, perhaps?

Christine
        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

My great grandfather was an "Honorary Captain" in the Australian RAE. It seems that in Australia, the term honorary was an indication that he was not "regular army", I assume because he did not attend any military training school and came into the Engineers as a qualified builder and surveyor. Earlier, in the NSW Corps of Engineers, he was designated "quartermaster" another indication of the same.

Di
          Diane
          Sydney Australia
          Avatar: Reuben Edward Page and Lilly Mary Anne Dawson

Comment

Working...
          X