Age of Mother

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Age of Mother

I guess it's an impossible question, but does does anyone have any ideas whether it's likely that a 49 year old woman would give birth to a healthy child in 1919?
    Joan died in July 2020.

Well, I suppose she COULD, yes, but I would be having a look round for any teenage daughters!

OC

Comment

Thanks, OC - trouble is that this person has been identified in a photo as the mother.....am totally confused!
      Joan died in July 2020.

Comment

I have a mother at the end of the 19th cent, giving birth at 51, healthy birth.

Comment

Thanks Jennifer - that gives me hope!
          Joan died in July 2020.

Comment

Muggins

I found one in my tree only recently - 53 years and eight months old when she gave birth to her last child.

I have her baptism and her birth date and I have her on all census with the correct age each time. She had only sons prior to the last child, so I am 99% certain she WAS the mother, amazed though I was!

I assume the child was healthy although I can't follow past 1901 to find out.

OC

Comment

I forgot to say, that birth was number 12! and it was my Great Aunt

Comment

The main problem in having children later in life is that the likelihood of having a Down's Sydrome baby is increased. But the odds are that you will still have a healthy baby.
                ~ with love from Little Nell~
                Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Well, I would say the main problems are the unlikelihood of conception and then the chances of a miscarriage get higher and higher as the mother's age increases. But yes, it is possible.
                  KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
                  (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

My mothers friend had healthy twins when she was 54 Joan, so it's definitely possible. I admit it was in the 60's but she still had to conceive and have healthy babies in the same way that they always did, only the aftercare would be different.
                    Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

My great grandmother on one side was 53 when last child born. I can prove that with certs.
                      On the other side great grandmother was 51, also proven.

Comment

Thanks Libby - That's helpful.

Other problem (?) is that if this person is the mother, then she is about 4'8 -4'9 as an adult, and her son is well over 6' - LOL

Thanks
                        Joan died in July 2020.

Comment

Which is also Possible Joan.. as many of us "shorty" mums with children that tower over us will vouch for! lol

Comment

'Muggins' - WHEN in 1919 did this Birth take place ?

If it was early 1919, then maybe it was a daughter's (who had fallen pregnant from a WW1 soldier who had been killed towards the end of the War) ?

Long shot I know..............

Comment

Yeah its possible - my grandmother had her last baby in 1936 at aged 48 and he's still going strong!

However, she did have 13 before him. Maybe it's to do with whether its the first baby or the last of many. I think it's to do with how much exercise your ovaries get

Maggie

Comment

Originally posted by maggie_4_7 View Post
                                Maybe it's to do with whether its the first baby or the last of many. I think it's to do with how much exercise your ovaries get

Maggie

anyone else have a vision of an ovary on an exercise bike.........??
                                Jess

Comment

yes i did lol

Comment

Muggins

My mum was 4ft 11inches tall, due to having rickets as a child. Malnutrition meant she never achieved her full potential height.

Her mother and her four brothers were all very tall, and my brother is 6ft. I used to be 5ft 8.

Height is programmed by genes, but if you are undernourished as a child, you won't reach your potential. Could be as simple as that, in her case.

But...IS there a daughter of suitable age to be this child's natural mother?

OC

Comment

Q: how exactly do you exercise your ovaries????? And more to the point, should you??

My Mum always said no son is ever smaller than his mother.
                                      ~ with love from Little Nell~
                                      Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
                                        Muggins

My mum was 4ft 11inches tall, due to having rickets as a child. Malnutrition meant she never achieved her full potential height.

Her mother and her four brothers were all very tall, and my brother is 6ft. I used to be 5ft 8.

Height is programmed by genes, but if you are undernourished as a child, you won't reach your potential. Could be as simple as that, in her case.

But...IS there a daughter of suitable age to be this child's natural mother?

OC
                                        OC,

Yes, there is a daughter of suitable age, but it is still a huge puzzle as all the living "relatives" I have made contact with say that X is the person's mother, whereas photos seem to suggest that Y was the mother! Also I have a letter to the person signed by X in which she calls herself mother! The person himself says that X was his mother, but identifies Y in the photos as as his mother!

At least I now have some new leads, even if they are making me dizzy!! LOL

Thanks
                                        Joan died in July 2020.

Comment

Working...
                                        X