Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I am missing in action! (Emergency help please - IE not working)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am missing in action! (Emergency help please - IE not working)

My internet has decided that it doesn't like me anymore & I am at the library at the moment:( I think the problem has been caused by the dodgy internet security cd that I downloaded earlier in the week, butit is driving me crazy. It will say that it is connected & then I just get the message that "internet explorer can't open this webpage" unfortunately it seems unable to open any web pages! I am with Tesco & apparently they don't have any server problems & advised me to phone their technical support, but at 50p a min, I am loathe to do this. Anyone any ideas? I am here for a short time, after which Barabara Dodds, might be able to pass on a message.

thanks
    Lynn

Not much good on technical stuff, but have you tried deleting the new security thing and seeing if it works then.

Comment

I did delete the new security at Tesco's instructions & reinstalled my old one, but it hasn't been right since. It was working ok yesterday morning but went wrong whle I was out & hasn't worked properly this morning.

I wonder if I should reinstall the internet, as I still have the old cd
      Lynn

Comment

Thats bad timing Lynn - just when you had some time as well Yes I'll pass any messages on once your offline
        Barbara

Comment

Are you wireless? Could it be the router that's faulty?

I had something similar recently and my computer man has patched me up temporarily with an 'old' one (since we're changing providers on Monday it didn't seem worth investing in a new one) I was convinced it wasn't the router - since there were some lights still showing - but it was!
          Mags passed away on 8 January 2017.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestion Mags, but she's not on wireless or that could have helped her.

Lynn has managed to get onto MSN, but can't get onto any websites. Any and all ideas would be welcomed
            Barbara

Comment

Has she got another browser she can try? I'm not sure how she can get another one if she doesn't already, but hopefully somebody else can tell us...
              KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
              (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

I'm not sure Kate, but I don't think she has. and of course if she can't get online she can't download a different one:(
                Barbara

Comment

Wonder if she can get into e-mails and maybe send her link to download firefox browser would work ;;
                  borobabs passed away March 2018

Comment

Thanks Babs - that might be worth a try
                    Barbara

Comment

She must be online if she can into MSN so can a friend perhaps download the Firefox browser installation file and send it to her via MSN ?

I have the Firefox file but i don't have MSN or i would try that .:(

Comment

Thanks Valley

unfortunately we've lost her on msn again now:( but if she can get back to there we'll try sending her the link for firefox direct
                        Barbara

Comment

Not sure if the link will work because presumably it will force her to open Internet Explorer? But if somebody could email her the installer file then hopefully it might work that way?
                          KiteRunner

Comment

that could be a problem of course. I'm just checking to see if her emails are still working
                            Barbara

Comment

If she can't open internet explorer, I don't think she'll get her e-mails will she?

This sounds like something that happened to me. Was doing the updates and a security thing popped up telling me something was trying to change something and did I want to let it. Well without reading it properly and thinking I pushed NO, yes I lost my internet explorer. Now there is a way to go in somewhere and get it back but I don't know the answer:o.

Where are our computer experts today, I'd like to know how it's done too. Then when I do it again I don't have to go to OH and get a telling off:D.
                              Fiona. xx

Comment

LOL Fiona - think all the experts must be busy at work

If you do remember how you got it back can you let us know please

Lynn is now getting very fed up (as you would), and she can't access her emails either:(
                                Barbara

Comment

That's the thing Barbara, I didn't get it back OH took it to be sorted. But if someone can put the answer up I make a note of it just incase I need it another time as I'm so good with these things;) lol
                                  Fiona. xx

Comment

After 24hrs with the same problem I called Virgin, ( who we are with) they said to turn the cable modem off at the wall, wait 2 mins and turn it back on.......it worked, as here I am..........

Comment

Sarah

Thank you

Lynn's done a system restore back to Saturday, but the problem seems to have stayed:(

Barbara - she's been online today as far as getting msn and her home page up, so we didn't think about the modem at the time. Bu thanks for that suggestion too
                                      Barbara

Comment

I don't suppose it could be as simple as Internet Explorer thinking it is offline? If she clicks on File and makes sure there is no tick next to "Work Offline" then that would sort that out.
                                        KiteRunner

Comment

Working...
                                        X