Which is it and where is it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which is it and where is it?

My 3xG/Gdad Thomas Edmondson was married in 1802 to Elizabeth Allison at St Mary-St Maryleborn Rd, St Maryleborn, London. Thats what the IGI says.

After the wedding Thomas returned to his lcosy little house in Rylstone in N.Yorks. where they had 4 children, Thomas 'Allison' Edmondson being my next GG ect!. ( No wonder I'm having a job finding much out about him. I wouldn't let it be known if I'd been called 'Allison')

But according to the church records at Rylstone at the baptisms of 2 of thier children it says, Eliza d of John Allison, "Little St. Thomas Apostle, London.
    One other says. Eliza d -----,"Little St, John's Apostle, London.

FIRSTLY- If I want to trace more details of Thomas's wedding, which is the Church, there are so many St's!!

SECONDLY-With regards the reference to John Allison, Eliza's father, which of these is likely to be the right church to try and trace details of her back ground. Is it "Little Street" or "Little Saint" 'what ever' and where are they or it?

THIRDLY-If her dad was at one of the two 'Littles, Why get married at one of the 'Sts', OR! can they all be the same!!! (my head hurts!!)

FINALLY-Anyone any idea how to search church records at a distance, I would like to know more of Eliza's family back ground without having to go to London. Sorry this is so long winded
    Family details I'm looking for:- Edmondson-N/Yorkshire+Salford. Wilkinson-N/Yorks, [B]O'N[/B]eill-Manchester+Ireland?, Hill-Derbyshire, Warrington-Derbyshire +N.Zealand, Makin- Salford, Partington- Prestwich

Firstly, in order to check it out you do need to see the original parish registers. There is no substitute. But you might be able to order the relevant parish registers on microfilm for a small fee at your nearest LDS family history centre.

If the family were in Rylstone (where's that?) are you sure the London family are yours? And Allison is a Scottish surname.

Off to see about which church is what now.
    ~ with love from Little Nell~
    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

I think the first church is St Marylebone, Marylebone Road. IGI extracts end 1796. I think the original registers are at the London Metropolitan Archives or Westminster Archives.
      Last edited by Little Nell; 13-02-08, 20:50.

Comment

St Thomas the Apostle is in a list of City of London churches on Genuki.
        I googled and "Little St Thomas the Apostle" seems to be an area near St Paul's Cathedral. Can't find out more.

Comment

There seems to be a Great St Thomas the Apostle in London, so presumably Little St Thomas was to differentiate.

Comment

The actual marriage entry for 1802 won't give a lot of info though, just exact date, names of bride and groom, which parish they were living in at the time of the marriage, and the witnesses.

Comment

Hi Little Nell,
              Thanks for the prompt reply. Rylstone is about 5 miles North of Skipton, N.Yorkshire (of WI fame!!, I think) I would send for films from thr LDS when I know which church is which.
              I think Eliza might have been recruited into Service and brought up North, there is a hugh Estate just out side of Skipton and my 4xG farmmed on the estate, I think thats how they met. But it is early doors yet to be sure.
              Family details I'm looking for:- Edmondson-N/Yorkshire+Salford. Wilkinson-N/Yorks, [B]O'N[/B]eill-Manchester+Ireland?, Hill-Derbyshire, Warrington-Derbyshire +N.Zealand, Makin- Salford, Partington- Prestwich

Comment

I wonder who this is?

Image details

Description Will of Sarah Allison, Spinster of Saint Thomas the Apostle , City of London
                Date 13 February 1773
                Catalogue reference PROB 11/984
                Dept Records of the Prerogative Court of Canterbury
                Series Prerogative Court of Canterbury and related Probate Jurisdictions: Will Registers
                Piece Name of Register: Stevens Quire Number: 1 - 52
                Image contains 1 will of many for the catalogue reference

The image of the will can be purchased and downloaded for £3.50 from The National Archives.

Comment

Was it the case that the vicer or who ever, would enter what he thought was suitable for the occasion or was there a set of rules what to put.
                  I know her fathers name, but any mention of job may help, one can then trawl through trade directories and for that I would need a parish or something like that to go on wouldn't I. An address would help, I really have no idea where they actually lived in London.

Comment

Hi Monty, The mention of St Thomas the Apostle seems as though it may have some bearing, where is it? What site or programme did you get that little gem from, there is a lot of info. and references!

Comment

I think it highly unlikely that there would be an address on the marriage cert, it would probably just say "otp" (of this parish) or "parish of St Whatsit". Sometimes baptism entries give father's occupation.

The Will Merry found is on The National Archives website - it has wills on downloadable images.

Comment

I can see I am not going to get very far and there was I getting exited that I may be able to put some names and details on my tree. Oh well! I would never have thought of looking at the TNA, I thought that it was all a case of you having to go there to find out anything.
                        I,m off to Manchester tomorrow to see what I can find at the MLFHS place. As I have alot of folk from there and there abouts I joined. Lets see if it will pay a dividand. So I must walk my dogs now and get some beaughty sleep.

Comment

I can't see how Eliza, d of John Allison fits into the picture?

Comment

I was sent some enties from the Church records at Rylstone and in the records of the various Baptisms it was stated they Elaiza D John Allison , that she was the daughter of John and He was or they were from Little---ect. I just thought that if I followed that, it may lead to knowing more about her background. But I'm new to this hobby and learning each day. I have learnt alot just reading others letters or is it Blogs?

Comment

Yes, but how does Eliza fit in with Thomas Allison, or have I missed something?

Comment

And in this hobby (or should I say obsession) you never stop learning, lol!

Comment

Originally posted by Little Nell View Post
                                  Yes, but how does Eliza fit in with Thomas Allison, or have I missed something?
                                  Isn't she the wife of Thomas Edmondson?? (m 1802 in St Marylebone)

Comment

Thomas Allison was the son of Eliza and Thomas. It would seem they gave him her maiden name as a middle name. But as he has not used it much ( and I can see why) trying to find much about him is difficult, With it, it is very distinctive, without it he is just another Thomas amonst many. I have found a Thomas married to a Mary Taylor , which are the names on my G/Gdad's birth cert. in a 1841 trade directory as a butcher and in the 1841 census; but is it Thomas 'Allison'. Everything seems to point in that direction but I have been court out before. I'm going to Manchester tomorrow /TODAY!! to search the Guardian achives for obituaries to see if it mentions anything about being born in North Yorkshire.

Comment

Surely Eliza is the same as Elizabeth, and it is those lovely Yorkshire baptism records that give lots of extra details about the family, can't remember what they are called. If only I had some Yorkshire ancestors!
                                      KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
                                      (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Dade registers!

As all of my early researches were done in Lancashire I couldn't understand why people kept saying that "You only get the bare details" on parish registers.

I am so used to seeing the mother's maiden name recorded and bits and bobs about where they lived and what they did, that it is a shock to wander into a county where they didn't record all this.

OC

Comment

Working...
                                        X