anyone know Notting Hill?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• anyone know Notting Hill?

i am looking for pictures of Princes Place Notting Hill London W11----------does anyone know where i can find any?
    one of my ancestors lived there at one time, are the houses still standing? was it a well to do area?
    thanks,
    Chris.

Don't know if this is of any use.

LondonTown.com | Princes Place Guide | Princes Place London, W11, England, UK | London Streets by Street
    Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

Thanks Wendy,
      it only shows a map, i am wanting to see what the houses were like, thanks anyway.
      chris.

Comment

Whenabouts did your ancestors live there?
        ~ with love from Little Nell~
        Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

1901--1903--or there abouts.

Comment

Obvious place would be the relevant library/local history centre/records office.

The Guildhall Library in City of London has a vast collection of books on London, but whether they'd have any photos of the actual street I don't know.
            ~ with love from Little Nell~
            Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Thanks Nell, no chance of me getting there, i live on Merseyside!
              just thought someone might know of a website.

Comment

Although I can't specifically help with the particular street or era you are looking for, can I commend you to some photo's taken by Roger Mayne of Southam Street which was in Notting Hill W10. I had relatives in this street towards the end of the 19th century and I believe it was quite a well to do area in those days but obviously changed quite dramatically before being cleared as a slum area in 1969. Among other links :

Roger Mayne

It interests me how an area such as this can go from affluence to slum in almost the blink of an eye. I believe Notting Hill is now quite trendy.
                Simon

"You've got to ask yourself one question. Do I feel lucky ? " (Dirty Harry) - Be lucky; the facts are out there somewhere

http://www.thebirdtree.co.uk

Comment

Notting Hill is just a short bus ride from me. If you would like to PM me details, ie the number of the house, I would be happy to go and take a photo for you. BC

Comment

Originally posted by Simon View Post
                    Although I can't specifically help with the particular street or era you are looking for, can I commend you to some photo's taken by Roger Mayne of Southam Street which was in Notting Hill W10. I had relatives in this street towards the end of the 19th century and I believe it was quite a well to do area in those days but obviously changed quite dramatically before being cleared as a slum area in 1969. Among other links :

Roger Mayne

It interests me how an area such as this can go from affluence to slum in almost the blink of an eye. I believe Notting Hill is now quite trendy.

For a bit there Simon, I got quite excited. My grandfather was born in Southam St in 1872. I don't know about a well to do area, Gt Grandad was a shunter on the railway!
                    Vivienne passed away July 2013

Comment

Hi Vivienne,

Yes, you are right of course, probably "well to do" is an exaggeration !

Do you know where your great grandad was working ? My great grandfather, William Musgrove (1860 – 1901), started working for Great Western Railway at Paddington Station on 8th March 1879 earning 2 shillings and sixpence a week (£60 per week in today’s terms). He appears to have been an engine cleaner but is variously described down the years as a railway labourer, an engine boiler washer, an engineer and even an engine driver (which we believe to be fanciful). He married in 1885 and by the 1891 census he was shown as living in Southam Street where his youngest son John was born in 1900. He died in Southam Street in 1901 of acute bronchitis.

As this Southam Street was pulled down in 1969 to make way for, I believe, the Westway Flyover and Trellick Tower, the current Southam Street (just north of Westway Flyover) may be in a different location ?

Were your relatives living in Southam Street between 1891 and 1901 ? They could have been neighbours and, as they had the railway in common, might have been friends ? Wouldn't that be strange ? I will PM you his house number in Southam Street.
                      Simon

"You've got to ask yourself one question. Do I feel lucky ? " (Dirty Harry) - Be lucky; the facts are out there somewhere

http://www.thebirdtree.co.uk

Comment

Hi Simon, I answered your pm without seeing this.

I don't know where they worked, how do you find that out?
                        By the 1881 census they were living in Rackham St & by 1891 they were in Admiral Terrace, Kensington.
                        1901 Gt Grandad had died & Grandad was in the army & away in South Africa leaving Gran in what I assume was a block of flats alongside her mother & sister in St Ervans St.
                        Vivienne passed away July 2013

Comment

Buttercup,
                          have PMd you, thanks, Chris.

Comment

Working...
                          X