Help reading 1851 census please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help reading 1851 census please

Can anyone tell me what the last name is on this page please.

HO107; Piece: 2141; Folio: 306; Page: 27

Thanks in advance
    Barbara

Looks some thing like William, but it is transcribed as Weban and Freebmd have Urban.

Take your pick Barbara.
    Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

Looks like Wilam. I'd say its meant to be William.
      ~ with love from Little Nell~
      Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

1861 to 1901 census has Urban
        Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

From FreeBMD

Births Jun 1842
          Plackett Urban Shardlow 19 572

Comment

Thank you all

I didn't really think Weban could be correct lol, and I did consider William

As there is an Urban on FreeBMD in the right reg district and right age I think I'll probably have to go with that. Strange name though ....
            Barbara

Comment

FamilySearch.org - Family History and Genealogy Records has this (admittedly submitted) entry which matches birth details on census:

WILLIAM PLACKETT Birth: 1842 Breaston, Derby, England

Parents: Father: ROBERT PLACKETT
              Mother: MANALA

Comment

Or

William James Plackett 1842 Mar Shardlow 19 Page: 582

Comment

sorry added this before I saw the stuff about Urban. There was a Pope called Urban I think.

Comment

According to Wikipedia its a common name. Not round these parts, it isn't!

Comment

Nell - I've never come across anyone called Urban either.

This is my "nightmare" family. There seem to be at least 5 different families of Placketts in Breaston in 1851. One of them I know is definitely my ancestral family.

I picked up extracted entries only from the IGI trying to sot them out, and started panicking when "my" Thomas Plackett's sister Ann married Thomas Plackett

I then asked Elaine (Derbyshire Dancer) to check about 6 marriages against the original PR's at Matlock - and she found ther were two distinct families with parents John and Ann in the same time period. I asked her to glance at baptisms for me as well to confirm the 8 siblings I was interested in - and she made a quick note of 70
                      Barbara

Comment

Barbara

I have this with various families. You'd think in a small village where every other couple is called Mary & William or John and Ann, that they'd have either given their children distinctive names or changed their own. I can only imagine the conversations round the village green between the local gossips:

"You know Ann's pregnant? Yes, Thomas' daughter. No, not Thomas the labourer, the other Thomas. No, the one whose wife died. Not Elizabeth, Betsy! Yes! Anyway everyone thinks the father is Thomas. No, not Ann's father! Thomas, Robert and Susan's nephew" etc.

Comment

well at least Urban is distinctive lol. I also have a Nahum in amongst the Thomas's, Henry's, John's and William's

As for that conversation around the village green - the possibilities for through confusion must have been endless!! Especially as nearly all this lot were lace workers (mostly female) or coal miners
                          Barbara

Comment

And that is why, in little villages, everyone had a nickname.

Darwen, in Lancashire is famous for this. They share about 15 surnames and 20 forenames, so you have "Betty o' owd Anne's", "John o' owd Nathan's" "Skriking Tom" "Little owd Billy"and so on.

Sometimes these nicknames even crept into the official records, which is handy. However, I'm not impressed with the distinction between "Timothy of Owd Timothy's" and "Owd Timothy o' Timothy's". Nor that those baptised as Elizabeth were ever after called Betty, and those baptised Betty were ever after called Elizabeth...

OC

Comment

Is "Owd" a surname or a first name, lol!

Comment

My GGGrandmother's aunt had 5 generations all called Elizabeth Caroline, except they were Elizabeth , Betty , Carrie , Betsy and Caro ! Do you think imagination for names is a modern thing. The last one called her daughter Alice (on official records) but always known as Queenie!

Brain rattles around confused......

Comment

Working...
                                X