This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "@

Can some IT Boffin please help me to get this sorted out?

My new keyboard occasionally mixes up these two symbols. If I click on @ I get " and vice versa. Usually when I am on MS Word. At other times it seems to be OK.
    Grampa Jim passed away September 2011

Mine does that all the time - permanent. Reason is this darned computer is an American one. I don't have a pound symbol either just the dollar.
    Stella passed away December 2014

Comment

Jim, I am not sure, but it could be to do with your language settings. To check them, go to Start > Control Panel > Regional & Language Options > Language and check if the settings in there match you keyboard.

If it is not that, I wouldn't have a clue, sorry.

Comment

When I was using an internet cafe computer in Australia it took me ages to find the @ It was up on the LHS where the " is on my keyboard!!

Anne

Comment

Yes, it's the difference between a US and a UK keyboard layout. See: British and American keyboards - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jim, you should be able to fix your problem by changing the language settings as suggested by Lyn.

Or if using Vista: Start > Control Panel > Change keyboards or other input methods (under Clock, Language and Region) > Change keyboards.
          And then check/change the Default input language.
          Last edited by Cloggie; 13-02-08, 13:12.
          Sarah

Comment

Have you tried holding down the 'shift' key and then trying the 'alt' key to see if you get anything different

I get @ when I hold down the 'shift' and € when I hold down 'alt'

~ FOR PHOTO RESTORATIONS PLEASE SCAN AT A RESOLUTION OF 300-600 WITH THE SCALE AT 100% MINIMUM ~ http://restoreandcolour.brainwaving.co.uk

Comment

I just looked at my Regional Settings and it was telling me that I live in the US of A. I have moved back now, I don't know whether I have fixed the problem, but it could well have been the answer. So thanks for all your help.

Comment

No it hasn't fixed it.

I just tried to send an email and had to transpose the @

Comment

Go to Control Panel/Regional & Language Settings.

First page should show English (United Kingdom) in both boxes.

On languages Tab Press details button, and make sure top box (default) is also English (United Kingdom). Click OK.

This should sort it.
                  Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

You have to go into "details" and choose english UK keyboard.
                    It is very confusing.
                    Wendy beat me to it !
                    You can actually remove the US one.

Bob
                    I am never wrong. I once thought I was wrong but I was wrong.

Comment

It doesn't matter what settings I use on my European QWERTY keyboard, I just have to remember that they are the other way round and use the ALT+numeric keypad for chararcters which I don't have on the keyboard. You get used to it after a while.
                      Caroline
                      Caroline's Family History Pages
                      Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Working...
                      X