Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can anybody help with dating this photo please?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can anybody help with dating this photo please?

This photo is of my grandmother and one of her sisters taken on Wimbledon Common, according to the writing on the envelope it was in. I think the little girl in the middle is my grandmother, but only because she looks a bit like me as a child. I have no idea which one is her sister, who was 18 months younger. I suppose one or more of the others could be relations too, although I would have though it would have mentioned that on the envelope.

Can anyone help with dating this photo please? Do you think they are dressed in their Sunday best? They lived about 3 miles from Wimbledon Common. Could it have been a Sunday School outing? Although I don't recall either of them ever talking about going to Sunday School.

Their father was a tailor and there were 5 boys and 5 girls in the family. Curiously, none of the sons followed their father's trade, but the eldest daughter became a tailoress and my grandmother became a dressmaker. Maybe that is why they are so smartly dressed.
    My avatar is my Great Grandmother Emma Gumbert

Sue at Langley Vale

This photo was taken about 1910. My grandmother is sitting at the front on the left. The sister that is supposedly in the other photo is sitting front right.

The lady sitting behind my grandmother in the dark skirt and white blouse is her mother, my great grandmother. She is the old lady in my avatar picture which was taken 40 years later.
    Last edited by LangleyValeSue; 12-02-08, 18:18.

Sue at Langley Vale

Comment

I would say, just by comparing it to other photos I've seen, it's late Victorian/early Edwardian, as a guess some time between 1898-1906.

Comment

Its not in the 1970s because there is no Wombles - sorry i couldnt resist.

Comment

LOL Pat :D

No Macdonalds wrappers to pick up in those days!

Sue at Langley Vale

Comment

Sue want to revise my estimate now! I've been thinking and photos of my great gran as a little girl taken between 1907-1911 she is wearing almost identical outfit to the four little girls in the background (with big black strappy boots, but can't tell if your girls are also wearing them!)

Also on the 100 year old photos thread in the general section, there is a discussion about the stiff card type collars, that the little boy there appears to be wearing. They were definently an Edwardian invention, and late Edwardian if I remember rightly which again would more accurately date it 1906-1911 era.

Hope that helps!

Comment

Thank you Richard.

1906 - 1911 would be about right I think. My grandmother was born in March 1900. Looking at the original with a magnifying glass it looks as though the girls are wearing black boots or black stockings.

Sue at Langley Vale

Comment

Working...
              X