Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finding address on 1901 census, please

Hi Folks,

I would very much like some help, please. I have the marriage cert of my grandparents, which was in 1915, and I have their whereabouts in 1901. I am hoping that the addresses that they were living at the time of their marriage might just have the same folk living there 14 years before, if you see what I mean. Both addresses on this marriage cert appear to be in quite affluent areas of London, so perhaps they were later in service at these addresses? Grandfather was residing at 90 Molyneux Street, Marylebone, and Grandma was living at 37 Manchester Street, London W.1.

Could some kind soul please look on the 1901 to see who was living at those addresses - I would be very grateful. I do have access to the 1901, but have no idea how to actually search a specific address.

Many thanks,

Chris

Sorry, I've just discovered, neither do I.
    Mavis
    Dust is a noun, never a verb;)

Comment

The 1901 census can be searched by address on the 1901 Census of England and Wales Online website.

With Ancestry, it's a case of trawling. You should have the districts from the certificate? You can enter those on Ancestry.
      Tracy

Comment

I don't think you can do an address search on Ancestry, but if you give us their names we could look for them and see where they were living.
        ~ with love from Little Nell~
        Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

I can't find 90 Molyneux St in 1901. Maybe it wasn't built yet?

Comment

I googled and someone was living there in 1891, so I guess it was!
            ~ with love from Little Nell~
            Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Originally posted by Little Nell View Post

I suppose it must be mistranscribed then, but I am not sure how to do variable spellings on the old TNA site?

Here's the other address:

RG13; Piece: 107; Folio: 79; Page: 46

Comment

I've found no's 1-51 Molyneux St :(

Comment

I don't think you can do an address search on Ancestry, but if you give us their names we could look for them and see where they were living.
                  That's the problem, Nell - I have no idea who was living there in 1901. I guess I am just grabbing at straws.

Chris

Comment

Originally posted by Merry Monty Montgomery View Post
                    I suppose it must be mistranscribed then, but I am not sure how to do variable spellings on the old TNA site?

Here's the other address:

RG13; Piece: 107; Folio: 79; Page: 46
                    Just off to check that out, Merry. Be back in a mo.

Chris

Comment

Hi Folks,

Anybody with any bright ideas as to whom might have been at 37 Manchester Street - again, London area in 1901?

Chris

Comment

In 1891 (RG12/94fo57p22) The Head is Eleanor GERVAS, 69 (Chadwell, Essex), W, Boarding House Keeper
                        accompanied by her sister, Rebecca OTTER, 64 (Aldgate), W, own means
                        and a servant, Charlotte PICKETT, 15 (Fulham), S, domestic servant
                        and two visitors:
                        Emma BENSON, 59 (E Riding, Yorks), W, own means
                        and
                        Mona M BENSON, 23 (Leeds, Yorks), S, own means

Christine
                        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Originally posted by chrissiebee View Post
                          Hi Folks,

Anybody with any bright ideas as to whom might have been at 37 Manchester Street - again, London area in 1901?

Chris

Erm....that's the one I quoted the ref for in post 7

Comment

Originally posted by Merry Monty Montgomery View Post
                            Erm....that's the one I quoted the ref for in post 7

Oops, sorry Merry! It's been a long day....LOL

Chris:o

Comment

Originally posted by Christine in Herts View Post
                              In 1891 (RG12/94fo57p22) The Head is Eleanor GERVAS, 69 (Chadwell, Essex), W, Boarding House Keeper
                              accompanied by her sister, Rebecca OTTER, 64 (Aldgate), W, own means
                              and a servant, Charlotte PICKETT, 15 (Fulham), S, domestic servant
                              and two visitors:
                              Emma BENSON, 59 (E Riding, Yorks), W, own means
                              and
                              Mona M BENSON, 23 (Leeds, Yorks), S, own means

Christine
                              Eleanor is still there in 1901 with her dau, Mary B Gervas as head.

Comment

Try having a look at
                                RG13/107 fo 79 p 46

PS - Had memory failure by the time I'd got this far and didn't recognise this as the ref Merry had already found.
                                Last edited by Christine in Herts; 13-02-08, 13:19.
                                Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

That does presume that the numbering didn't change between the two dates, of course!

Christine

Comment

In 1891, Molyneux Street only went up to 51 + Police Station.

Christine

The same stretch appears in 1901 in St Marylebone, St Mary, Enumeration District 10
                                    Last edited by Christine in Herts; 12-02-08, 20:51.

Comment

I wonder who nell was refering to then?!! I spent ages looking for the numbers after 51 in 1901 lolol

Comment

Having looked at the 1891 and 1901 Manchester Street, it was obviously some kind of boarding house, slap bang next to a rather large hotel (judging by the number of servants living therein). Most of the ones at No.37 appear to be either foreign or in transit perhaps. Still no closer, but very interesting all the same.

Many thanks to all, much appreciated!

Chris

Comment

Working...
                                        X