Sending scans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sending scans

I have sent some scans from my computer as attachments by email to a contact.

She has replied saying her computer has asked her which programme to open these in? I haven't a clue, can anyone suggest, please?

(These are certificates which I saved automatically from Scotlands People to my computer if that makes any difference)

Thanks

OC

What file extension do they have?
    Elaine

Comment

Elaine

Ermmm...where will I find that info please?

(My contact is as dozy as me unfortunately. It was a miracle that I managed to send these at all)

OC

Comment

Can you see where you have saved the file on your computer.
        You will have a file name, followed by a "dot", followed by a file extension

e.g.
        A Word file called Family - would be
        Family.doc

doc is the file extension and is an indication of what program has been used to make the file

What's the file extension on the scanned images?
        Elaine

Comment

Elaine

It just says

Type: File

However a window opens and asks ME how I want to view it and I remember I have to use Windows picture and fax viewer.

I will tell my contact this and see if she can open it that way.

OC

Comment

OC if you right-click it and then scroll down to "Properties" it should tell you what type of file it is.

On second thoughts it must be a graphics file to open up in Windows Picture and fax viewer.....i think

Comment

Most scans are usually saved as .jpg which will open in any graphics program.
              Last edited by WendyPusey; 12-02-08, 20:48. Reason: spelling
              Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

Their downloads are TIFF files. If you open it in Windows Picture and Fax viewer, you can save it as a JPEG (down in the bottom right hand corner of your screen) and resend it.
                Caroline
                Caroline's Family History Pages
                Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Best to always as a standard send in JPEG.

Comment

Thanks everyone. That will be useful when I try to send some stuff from photobucket!

OC

Comment

This is going to be a stupid question, but surely all you need to send them is a link to the picture on Photobucket, isn't it?
                      KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
                      (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

OC...I found it easier to scan into my pictures; go into - 'my pictures' then - get pictures from scanner or camera; this way the picture you have scanned can be attached to an e mail via browse button.
                        The receiver has been able to view the ones that I have sent this way.
                        Kathleen

Comment

Working...
                        X