2 years difference

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 years difference

I am hoping you will agree that its nothing to worry about.

I have Emma Titchmarsh marrying Thomas Elliott in 1818

1841 Emma is 1801 Cambs
    1851 Emma is born 1815 (mistranscribed should be 1795), Barrington, Cambs
    1861 Emma is born 1796 Cambs
    1871 Emma is born 1795 Barrington, Cambs
    1878 Emma Elliott died age 82 (born 1796)

There were only 2 Emma Titchmarsh's born around 1795-1800.

1. Emma Titchmarsh born Barrington, Cambs in 1798
    2. Emma Titchmarsh born Edmonton, Middlesex in 1799

I am obviously leaning towards the first Emma as POB is the same, Would you worry too much that she was born in 98 but continually gives DOB as 95/96
    Vikki -
    Researching Titchmarsh and Tushingham

You say you have found an Emma born in 1798 in Barrington but was this a baptism entry? Did it actually give a date of birth as well as baptism dat? If not it is possible she was baptised as a toddler rather than a babe in arms.
    Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

The DOB I have was given to me as a Birth Date, although you are probably right and it is a Baptism date instead.
      Vikki -

Comment

It's probably from this IGI entry:
        Emma Titchmarsh
        Christening: 18 MAY 1798 Barrington, Cambridge, England
        Father: Thos. Titchmarsh
        Mother: Elizh. Titchmarsh
        Batch No.: I005957
        Aren't I-batches another sort of submission? i.e. not transcriptions from PRs or BTs? Not to say they can't be right, of course.

Christine
        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Thanks Christine

Could be where they got the information from and incorrectly entered it into their familytree programme, which is why she had it as a birth.....:(

Off to check that batch number to see if there are any others.....
          Vikki -

Comment

This is not an extracted batch.

I can't remember exactly what the I-numbers mean but they are certainly not part of the extracted records programme run by the LDS themselves.

I have a feeling that these are records submitted by either church members or others, who have done their OWN extractions (that is, only the parts of the register which interest them).

I would want to see this baptism recorded in the original PR myself. The I-batch may be someone's interpretation of things, eg, there may have been two
            Emmas and they have killed off the wrong one!

OC
            Last edited by Olde Crone Holden; 12-02-08, 12:24. Reason: typo

Comment

It looks as if Thomas and Elizabeth may have moved to Meldreth, Cambs (2 miles from Barrington) as they had two children bap there in 1800 (one was aged 2 and both extracted). They then had two more bap in 1804, which are on the IGI (extracted) and on the Cambs FHS bap index as well. They were aged 1 and 3. So maybe this family went in for "batch baptisms" or at least, the occasional late one?!

Comment

Originally posted by vikki brace View Post

There were only 2 Emma Titchmarsh's born around 1795-1800.

1. Emma Titchmarsh born Barrington, Cambs in 1798
                2. Emma Titchmarsh born Edmonton, Middlesex in 1799

Hi Vicki

Your statement is probably true, especially as one has the expected place of birth, but there could be dozens of Emmas that you don't know about because they weren't baptised, or the records don't survive, or the records survive but aren't online. I seem to remember that Cambridge FHS has produced a baptism index for the period, but that doesn't prevent the odd one slipping through the net.

Having found three Edmund Skillings all bp between 1722 - 1724 I regard it as pure luck that my fellow researchers have all plumped for the correct baptism.
                Phoenix - with charred feathers
                Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

Thanks everyone

One of the problems with this family (well it is for me) is that the Titchmarsh (titmarsh etc etc) living in the same few villages for years.

Barrington
                  Bassingbourn
                  Wimpole
                  Meldreth
                  Whaddon and Abington Piggotts

They seemed to move between the villages, so one child could be born in A, one in B and so on.

The only ones which help are those who kindly left Barrington for Edmonton in Middesex.

When I get to the Cambridge RO, I think I will take a tent and set it up in the middle of the floor - I'm going to be there for weeks!!!!
                  Vikki -

Comment

Abington Piggotts and Whaddon baptisms are on FamilyHistoryOnline - searchable databases for family history & genealogy in England, Wales & Australia on a payperview basis. If you check these, you'll reduce the number of parishes you need to check when you get to Cambridge RO.

Incidentally, Cambridge RO are having a long-overdue refurbishment to create more space for researchers - so do check before you plan your trip that it is open.
                    ~ with love from Little Nell~
                    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Thanks Nell, I've got all the ones from FamilyHistoryOnline

if they are re-furbing, i'll get the to leave room for my tent :D
                      Vikki -

Comment

Working...
                      X