Help on Holden/Beattie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help on Holden/Beattie

I am "trying" to find information on Arthur Holden & wife Agnes.
    Agnes was formally a Beattie,from Scotland
    Believe they married in about 1928 in Scotland ?

After their marriage they moved to Oxford UK .
    Here Arthur worked as a spray painter with the Morris Car Company in Oxford UK .

It is also believed that he died prior to Agnes.
    Agnes died about 1990.
    DO NOT KNOW IF SHE DIED IN ENGLAND OR SCOTLAND
    Do know that there were no children from the marriage

Any information would be appreciated

TIA

Do you know when Agnes and Arthur were born?

Sorry - should have said welcome to the site. Hope you enjoy it here.
    Elaine

Comment

There was an Agnes Peebles Holden (MS Beattie) who died in 2000 in Kilwinning North Ayrshire aged 80yrs.

Not sure if this is your Agnes?

By the way... Welcome to FTF

After thought; Actually she couldn't be your Agnes if yours married around 1928 as she would have been a child then... its ok don't mind me I won't hurt you...lol
      Last edited by BigShaz McCreadie; 12-02-08, 15:21. Reason: Spelling error
      With Experience comes Realisation

Comment

Where's OC, she's got all the Holdens somewhere hasn't she!! lol
        Mavis
        Dust is a noun, never a verb;)

Comment

Originally posted by Mavis by the Moor View Post
          Where's OC, she's got all the Holdens somewhere hasn't she!! lol

:D Thats exactly what I was thinking Mavis... been wondering why she hasn't jumped into this one :D

OC will have the answer :D

Comment

She's not online at the moment, but I've sent her a pm. LOL
            Mavis

Comment

OC knows them all dont she !!

Comment

But she doesn't know this one, sorry!

I rarely venture into the 20th century with the Holdens - seems rather rude somehow.

OC

Comment

Memo to all OC's Holdens are 19century or before. LOL
                  Mavis

Comment

But if you can ever get him back into Lancashire I can probably help.

OC

Comment

Well it seems that the Agnes I found was married to a Peter Holden who was some sort of Explosives Expert

Comment

Hmmm, probably a complete red herring but I found

Isobel Agnes HOLDEN marrying Thomas BEATTIE in 1946.

(No Holden/Beattie marriages on Scotlands People).

Can you narrow down Arthur's death at all? I mean, do you know when he was definitely alive, lol.

OC
                        Last edited by Olde Crone Holden; 13-02-08, 02:05. Reason: typo

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
                          Do you know when Agnes and Arthur were born?

Sorry - should have said welcome to the site. Hope you enjoy it here.

Hi Elaine (and others)
                          Thank you for the welcome.

All of the information that I have is as follows:-
                          Agnes Beattie born C:-1908 in Dumfries
                          Parents were (F)=James W Beattie & (M)=Sarah Thomson Seaton
                          Married Arthur Holden C:-1928 (in Dumfries ?) Yet to be proved
                          Arthur born in Dumfries (Yet to be proved)but more likely,as they were married there ?

Cannot find him anywhere to get 100% proof

Agnes had 1 sister & 5 brothers (have info on most of them)

The below info was passed to me by a relative who is now dead
                          "He worked at the Morris Car Company in Oxford,possibly as a painter (spray)

Meant to say Arthur and Agnes Holden lived at Ridgefield Road Oxford the
                          last time mum heard,possibly until Arthur died, then Agnes moved in with
                          friends but we dont know where."

Agnes Beattie was my dads sister who married Arthur Holden and moved to Oxford as Arthur worked as a painter at the Morris Car Works at Cowley,they did not have any children and we are not sure when they passed away.
                          They lived at Ridgefield Road Oxford."

Thanks to all
                          Regards Baldy (au)
                          Last edited by Baldy; 13-02-08, 03:43.

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
                            Hmmm, probably a complete red herring but I found

Isobel Agnes HOLDEN marrying Thomas BEATTIE in 1946.

(No Holden/Beattie marriages on Scotlands People).

Can you narrow down Arthur's death at all? I mean, do you know when he was definitely alive, lol.

OC
                            Hi.
                            I do not know when he died,am only assuming here--may be around mid to late 80's???.
                            Reason:-
                            Going by what info I have on Agnes,is that he died prior to her so,would think that could be up to 4-5 yrs.
                            She was born 1908 in Dumfries,Scotland assuming that she lived to be 70,death possibly around 1978-80 + -
                            Believe that she never returned to Scotland after the death of Arthur

Baldy (au)

Comment

There have only been 7 Arthur Holdens born in Scotland between 1855 and 2006 (with that exact spelling)

Only one of them was born in Dumfries and this was in 1892.

There have been 385 Agnes Beatties born in Scotland between 1855 and 2006 (with that exact spelling)

44 of those were born in Dumfries.

None of those born in Dumfries were born in 1908, the closest I could find was one born in 1905.

There are no marriages between 1855 and 1932 taking place in Scotland between a male Holden and Female Beattie (again that exact spelling)

I checked marriages for Arthur Holdens taking place in Scotland (didn't mention wife) and didn't find a single one between 1855 and 1932.

Is it possible that they married in England?? I'm no good with the English research but I'm sure someone on here could check it out.

Comment

James Beattie and Sarah Seaton married in Tinwald, Dumdries in 1906

Comment

Originally posted by BigShaz McCreadie View Post
                                  James Beattie and Sarah Seaton married in Tinwald, Dumdries in 1906
                                  Hi
                                  Thank you for the effort & replies.
                                  Yes you are correct they did marry in 1906--in fact 7th December at Townfoot Cottage,Amisfield?Tinwald.Dumfries.Scotland.

In going over all the replies,I see that the marriages finish in 1932,and nothing is forthcoming in & prior to that date.
                                  In my previous mail I indicated that the marriage date was an assumption because of the birth date.
                                  I do not have an exact date for Agnes,but,going by her sister & brothers she fits in at about that time.
                                  I do have certificate for the following below
                                  She had a sister (Margaret Holmes Beattie)born 1907,a brothers James born 1911,died 1936, Robert 1912-died 1977,Thomas born 1916 died 1986.

Regards
                                  Baldy (au)

Comment

Working...
                                  X