Tip re searching at FreeBMD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tip re searching at FreeBMD

Not sure where to add this so a Mod may want to move it elsewhere.

I saw this on a Rootsweb list and Roy Stockdill has kindly given permission for me to pass it on.

I imagine quite a lot of listers will already know this but on the off-chance that not everyone does, here's a useful little tip for when you are searching at the FreeBMD website for the entries of births, marriages and deaths of relatives, etc. This is particularly useful for those running one-name studies but it can also work for ordinary family historians if they want to identify possible relatives with an unusual surname where it was used as a middle name, i.e. possibly the name of a mother or grandparent, etc.

If you enter nothing at all in the surname field but enter in the first name field a surname with a + sign in front of it, this produces entries in which the name was used either as a forename or a middle name. To give you an example.....

Entering just "Stockdill" in the first name field produces only ONE
    entry, for a child called Stockdill Middlebrook registered in 1896 at
    Dewsbury.
    But if I enter "+Stockdill" in the first name field, nothing in the surname field and choose All Types, this produces NINE other entries for births, marriages and deaths where Stockdill was given as a middle name. I can then identify all of these as being either relatives of mine or linked to my one-name study.

Remember, it's important to put the plus sign before the name and the
    more unusual the surname the better the chance you have of finding the
    entries. Looking for people with Smith as a middle name will not be
    very helpful!
    Daphne

Looking for Northey, Goodfellow, Jobes, Heal, Lilburn, Curry, Gay, Carpenter, Johns, Harris, Vigus from Cornwall, Somerset, Durham, Northumberland, Cumberland, USA, Australia.

I hadn't come across that before - very useful.

Comment

Thanks Daphne, this works a treat with my Burnips and De Rosa Wimberleys

Comment

Thank you for that info - I haven't got anyone with an unusual middle name but think I know someone who does.

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

Ill ave a go at that tomorrow - thanks. I believe that oh gawd, whatsit called, the IGI site where you can search by church batches - oh dear, going senile - but I remember a long time back that that also lists surnames used as middle names.

Comment

Oh, an excellent tip, thankyou!

And for Senile Heather Postive Thinker, lol - Hugh Wallis, dear!

(Hugh Wallis Middle Names Site will NOT open on my computer, anyone know why????)

OC

Comment

It open fine for me OC using XP.

Hugh Wallis's Genealogical Web Sites

Comment

Pat

I can get into, and use, Hugh Wallis without any problem - except for the "middle names" site, which refuses to open and comes up as a blocked site, for me.

I am on XP too.

OC

Comment

*rushes off to search for +Allender*

Thanks for the tip.
                  Gwynne

Comment

Gawd, you know I woke up in the middle of the night, thinking "Hugh Wallis" Im really worried about my memory lately.

I just tried the + thing on freebmd and got invalid Trust me to ********** it up. I put it in the surname not first name box.
                    Last edited by Heather Positive Thinker; 11-02-08, 08:08.

Comment

Thank you for the tip - it has been added to the wiki page:

Caroline
                      Caroline's Family History Pages
                      Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

That's a good tip! Thanks

I had always used ancestry's copy of FreeBMD instead when needing to search for a middle name, but now I can do it on the proper site!

Comment

Oh, wow! That is certainly flushing a few extra out of the woodwork! Most I know about, but there are certainly a few new surnames there!
                          Phoenix - with charred feathers
                          Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

Thanks for that tip, I will give it a go later
                            Vikki -
                            Researching Titchmarsh and Tushingham

Comment

It works a treat on my Jeffcoats and Tuffnells - I tried it with Lamb and it nearly crashed the site!
                              Elizabeth
                              Research Interests:
                              England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
                              Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

I must admit it's a lot quicker on Ancestry!

I keep getting timed out on FreeBMD. I ended up having to restrict my search to two years at a time.....................still, it's really good to know this search mission is possible!

Comment

I cant even get into FreeBMD and I'm dying to try this tip..it keeps timing out!

Thanks

]

Comment

Thanks for the Tip Geordiegirl,
                                    *rushes off to find Cubitt and Hillyard*
                                    Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

Thanks for that! - will try it tonight!
                                      Kind regards,
                                      William
                                      Particular interests: The Cumming families of Edinkillie & Dallas, Moray

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
                                        Oh, an excellent tip, thankyou!

And for Senile Heather Postive Thinker, lol - Hugh Wallis, dear!

(Hugh Wallis Middle Names Site will NOT open on my computer, anyone know why????)

OC

OC, could it be a pop-up blocker stopping it?
                                        KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
                                        (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Working...
                                        X