Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What happened to Ellen?

Thanks Lyn, the update to the story is on post #6

I have fouled up somewhere with the first marriage of my grt grandfather.

George Chambers (abt 1843 Lincoln) married Ellen Broughton (abt 1845) in Lincoln in 1874.

I think the couple had three children;
    George William 1876
    Elizabeth 1879
    Mary Ann Elizabeth or Mary Ann Ellen 1880

In the 1881 census George (1843) and George W are listed in a household as b-i-l and nurse child to the head of the house (George Graby). The girls and Ellen are missing. George Chambers does not have anything recorded for maritial status either.

In 1885 George Chambers remarried to Martha Thorbon Elmer, a witness was George Graby. The cert states the groom as a widower.

1891 Census shows George Graby as head of the house with the young George W listed as nephew. Still no sign of the girls or Ellen.

I recorded Ellen Chambers death as abt 1881/1882 but now i cannot find a death entry for the name anywhere near the time.

There is a death in 1877 for an Ellen (child aged 0 in the right parish) and one near Sleaford in 1884 (aged 29).

What happened to Ellen and when?

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I think i have possibly sorted Mary Ann as follows;
    Extracted IGI Christening

Mary Ann Ellen <Chambers> Pedigree
    Female
    Christening: 20 APR 1880 Saint Martin, Lincoln, Lincoln, England

Parents:
    Father: George Chambers
    Mother: Ellen

Possible burial for the above child

Mary Ann Chambers Abode St Martin,1 St Martins Row Buried 23/10/1880 Age 7m Cemetery Lincoln, Canwick Road Plot B1235 Extra
    Last edited by Glen in Tinsel Knickers; 17-02-08, 16:41.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
    My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
    My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

There is a death for Helen Chambers Age 28 at Lincoln Mar Qtr 1880

Comment

Originally posted by Lyn A View Post
      There is a death for Helen Chambers Age 28 at Lincoln Mar Qtr 1880
      Lyn, you found her!!!

Based on the name Helen i looked for a burial, later events and census show George Chambers and George Graby connected to Moor Street and there is the following burial

Helen Chambers Abode St Mary le W,9 Moor St Buried 03/04/1880 Age 28 Cemetery Lincoln, Canwick Road Plot B1235 Extra – Type LIN CR

Just noticed the plot numbers are the same for the two burials so it does look like they are mother and daughter.

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

Oh, Glen, so pleased that I could help someone for a change!

I couldn't find a death for Elizabeth, but feel that she probably died as well seeing that Mary Ann was given the name Elizabeth as well.

Blessings.

Comment

I might have her in the 1901 and a marriage too, part of the problem with this lot is the common names.

For example the George Chambers abt 1843, there are nine baptisms and birth refs for 1843-44...............none of them for my chap though!!

There is also another family in the same parish and they all have duplicated names with my lot.

Sometimes i just have to add the address and burial details into the mix and see if anything looks familiar. In this case the plot numbers match which might be the clue i need.

Fuel for at least two certs now found :D:D

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

Just an update and thanks to Lyn

I sent for the death cert for Helen (wife of George Chambers), i knew it was the right one based on the address from the burial details, informant was her sister in law Eliza Graby.

Also the birth and death certs for daughter of Helen, Mary Ann.

Mary Ann was born early March, (informant Eliza Graby) her mother died three weeks later and Mary herself died aged 7 months (address and informant are complete mysteries).

Also sent for the death cert for mother in law to Helen, this one from 1879 had the informant as.........Eliza Graby.

Just to tidy this nice little story up Eliza Graby,and her hubby George were witnesses to the 2nd marriage of George Chambers and this little trio are buried in adjacent plots in the cemetery not far from Ellen and Mary Ann

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

Glen, thanks for letting me know. Glad it turned out to be the right cert.
              Just a thought about Mary Ann's death......maybe after Ellen died, George couldn't keep the family together, either for financial reasons or the fact that thegirls were too young. He may have "fostered" them out. Have you found the family of the informant to Mary Ann's death in the 1881 census? Elizabeth could be with them.

Comment

I did a search for the address and found a family by a different name. I never thought to look for the family of the informant, there is a girl by the right name but no age living with other family members in the census but she might be a different family member (this lot were never that good at picking names and tend to stick with all the same ones, there are three cousins called George, three Josephs and two Charlottes!!!).

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

Update #2

Had a pm today from a new member to FTF today (Pipodopolos) who is also a relation to Ellen. At the time Pipodopolos sent the pm he was unable to post on the forum but hopefully admin should soon change that.

Between us we might be able to add something to the lives of the various family members in this little group.

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

Have just checked the system Glen and his registration has already been activated and accepted.
                    Elaine

Comment

Thanks Elaine

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

Glad you found your family Glenn.

I'm also glad I don't live with Eliza Graby, people seem to die around her.
                        Kit

Comment

Eliza Graby (born Eliza Chambers) never had children of her own, she also happened to be the eldest daughter in the family and it seems she and her husband were the ones who looked after the chldren when other family members struggled.

The George W Chambers for example appears to have been raised by Eliza and her hubby after the death of his mother, he went on to marry and gave his children the middle name of Graby.

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

Working...
                          X