• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GADD ancestry- West Sussex-- suggestions please

I hope this is posted in the correct place-

Needing help with birth date and parents names for

HENRY GADD
    -born about 1785-91 +/-
    married Mercy Sexton, 22 Feb 1814-Bosham, West Sussex( their son Henry is my gg grandfather)
    ** Mercy was born 16 July, 1791,
    marriage record for Mercy Sexton information was rec'd from an OPC for Bosham, who actually is a "cousin" in a roundabout way)
    **** marriage record gives also this info-- a Henry Gadd marriage registration on this same date --his occupation -farmer from Birdham.

Now--
    I have sent 2 requests re Henry over 2 months to OPC for Birdham-- no response as yet.
    I have checked IGI records for Gadd in Birdham-- no luck
    I have been all over these sites-
    Genealogy UK Geneology and Family History
    The history, genealogy and topography of the Weald of Kent, Surrey and Sussex
    Search Online - West Sussex Past ( lots of Gadd family info but nothing I can find that says "This is your man!" -- oh- how I wish;)
    I have been all over Ancestry.UK
    I have submitted Gadd family info to Ancstry.com
    I have been many other places as well--

Now I feel like I am circling and I just feel that the information is sitting out there waiting for me!

To date I have not found a true connection regarding this Henry of mine-who married Mercy Sexton-- d/o Richard Sexton and Ruth Pope.

All I need is his father and mother and birth record in order to go back further.

Please-- Maybe you can tell me what am I missing and/or , where else can I search? I don't mind "hunting" , actually , I quite enjoy the challenge. :D
    Forever will be "digging" for ancestors -

The new Gadd Family Tree--there are 6 highlighted family lines now! We are growing!!

http://gaddfamily.tribalpages.com
    no password required.

Firstly - Welcome to FTF!

Down to business...
    Have you looked on either of these two?

Sussex Family History Group Home Page
    Sussex Record Society - Home Page

Have you had a look on the FTF Wiki, to see if there is anything useful there for you?

Have you had a look at the FTF GedCom names, to see if you have any overlaps?

Chrisitne
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

OK. Does the cert say "farmer from Birdham" or just "of the parish of Birdham"? Either way it doesn't mean he was born there, just that he was living there at the time of his marriage.

Some other places to search: FamilyHistoryOnline - searchable databases for family history & genealogy in England, Wales & Australia (but check they have info that might help first - click on the database tab and check for Sussex).

If he was a farmer, he might have made a Will, so you can check that on the Documents Online database on The National Archives website.

I'll have another think - but as you aren't in a position to check local parish registers in the Sussex Records Office, you might want to contact the relevant Family History Society or see if you can order relevant nearby parish registers at your local LDS center.
      ~ with love from Little Nell~
      Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

IGI is always worth a peruse- sorry i cant read!
        Jess

Comment

Hi--

yes, I have been to Wiki-- I will spend more time there today - I did check FTM ged com names, lots of Gadds and other names related to his in my tree ,but as yet have not found a connection.

I had been on Sussex Family Group before and lost the URL --so thanks for that ;) it is bookmarked!
          and I will spend time on the Sussex Record Society site-- have it bookmarked now
          Thanks for such a quick reponse!
          patbee

The new Gadd Family Tree--there are 6 highlighted family lines now! We are growing!!

no password required.

Comment

yes, it does say- "farmer from Birdham' according to the OPC who helped with the marriage record..Thanks for these links I will check into those, and that insight re being born or just living there- I get so excited that at times I don't "see" everything- LOL
            --
            Originally posted by Little Nell View Post
            OK. Does the cert say "farmer from Birdham" or just "of the parish of Birdham"? Either way it doesn't mean he was born there, just that he was living there at the time of his marriage.

Some other places to search: FamilyHistoryOnline - searchable databases for family history & genealogy in England, Wales & Australia (but check they have info that might help first - click on the database tab and check for Sussex).

If he was a farmer, he might have made a Will, so you can check that on the Documents Online database on The National Archives website.

I'll have another think - but as you aren't in a position to check local parish registers in the Sussex Records Office, you might want to contact the relevant Family History Society or see if you can order relevant nearby parish registers at your local LDS center.

no password required.

Comment

this just recieved from Birdham OPC a few minutes ago--

"Hi Pat

All the information I have is on the Sussex OPC website.I suggest you contact the OPC for Bosham ,he may be able to give you more information"

the funny part of this is that, he, Roger, the OPC for Bosham , who first helped me ,suggested I contact the OPC for Birdham.. Oh well, -- hahahah

no password required.

Comment

I have several miniCds for Sussex parishes from The Parish Register Transcription Society - sadly I don't have any that will help you but they aren't hugely expensive and you can order them online.
                Caroline
                Caroline's Family History Pages
                Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Originally posted by Caroline View Post
                  I have several miniCds for Sussex parishes from The Parish Register Transcription Society - sadly I don't have any that will help you but they aren't hugely expensive and you can order them online.
                  :D Thanks Caroline-- I will look at these-- there may be something else I could order--
                  patbee

no password required.

Comment

and ... did you know that the marriage of Mercy and Henry was by Licence?? that might be worth following up. I am just checking on the copyright implications of something which I do have so will pm you. Pm on its way to you.
                    Last edited by Caroline; 09-02-08, 19:15.
                    Caroline
                    Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Originally posted by Jessbowbag View Post
                      IGI is always worth a peruse- sorry i cant read!
                      :Dthanks Jess for reading my post anyway- LOL

no password required.

Comment

I have the parish register transcripts disc for Bosham and can confirm the date of marriage as 22 Feb 1814 for you. Its says Henry was from Birdham and the witnesses were Kitty Gadd & John Martin.

It looks like they had three children baptised on the same day in Bosham:
                        23 Jan 1820
                        Emma Mercy Gadd
                        Henry Gadd
                        Mary Gadd
                        Father, Henry shown as a Farmer
                        Sue

Comment

I've just had a look on some of my other Sussex disc's - I don't have one for Birdham - and not found anything, sorry.
                          Sue

Comment

please don't be sorry-- this has been an ongoing search for sometime-- just the fact that you have all helped me today is truely encouraging-- I really appreciate it.
                            thanks so much,:D

no password required.

Comment

If you get desperate I could possibly look at the Birdham records for you when I next go to Chichester Record Office. I only live about 15 miles away and am quite a frequent visitor.
                              Shirley

Comment

Originally posted by Shirley silver surfer View Post
                                If you get desperate I could possibly look at the Birdham records for you when I next go to Chichester Record Office. I only live about 15 miles away and am quite a frequent visitor.
                                Shirley

:D What a kind and generous offer Shirley. Please let me know when you plan on going and if I haven't found anything to tie this man to a family I would appreciate your offer .

no password required.

Comment

Originally posted by Crafty Sue View Post
                                  I have the parish register transcripts disc for Bosham and can confirm the date of marriage as 22 Feb 1814 for you. Its says Henry was from Birdham and the witnesses were Kitty Gadd & John Martin.

It looks like they had three children baptised on the same day in Bosham:
                                  23 Jan 1820
                                  Emma Mercy Gadd
                                  Henry Gadd
                                  Mary Gadd
                                  Father, Henry shown as a Farmer
                                  So--- I am seeing this name Kitty Gadd-- and wondering who she may be-- I have seen this elsewhere and now cannot remember where-- LOl not unusual for me--will definitely look into this as well as she could be a close rely-- sister perhaps? or better-- his mother? and there are Martins in this family ,though what I have found are connected to the Sexton family-- :D oh, this all fits--

and
                                  Yes they did have 3 children that we know of for sure. Their son Henry Gadd, was born in 1818, but ch/bapt. with the others in 1820. ( though I do not have an actual Parish record for that,) just what I found online LDS. We know he was born before 1820 from his death certificate dated July 1 1866 age-58.

Henry is my great great grandfather. He left Chichester Sussex sometime before 1844( haven't found a record of that yet) and was in New York and married to Emeline Shaw Prentice on 29 Aug. 1844.They had 6 children- four of which lived. I have the history of his descendants all the way to the present day--

There are a few records out there in "online land" that have some information about him, but since digging deeper to find facts ,I am finding that some of it is incorrect. so-- to know the truth ,I am doing all my own searches to compare and double check.

Thank you so much for taking an interest.
                                  patbee

no password required.

Comment

Glad to help - another PM is on its way to you.
                                    Caroline

Comment

thanks Caroline, :Dhave read your PM and sent one to you-- LOL

no password required.

Comment

I have some Gadds of Chichester around that era.

Edward 1822 married Rosa Neal in 1847

They had 6 children, Rosa (1848), Betty, Sarah, John (1856), Laura (1858) and Henrietta (1861).

I wondered whether you had come across this family in your research?

Good luck,

Jim
                                        Grampa Jim passed away September 2011

Comment

Working...
                                        X