any one out there with german contacts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• any one out there with german contacts

Hi everyone, my great grandad William Fredrick Augustus Rosenbaum, came to England sometime in 1860's I have traced the family back through the English archives, as early as 1876, when he married my great grandmother, Julia in Lambeth London, William was born in Stettin in Germany in 1837/38, I have tried researching in Germany, but don't speak or read or write it, and to confuse the issue more, ater 1945 Stettin became part of Poland, and is now called Szczecin, and a lot of the old papers and archives have been either lost or mislaid, now, I do know that William's son lived in Lambeth/Kennington area of London during the late 1950's so, if any one can help in any way, I would be most grateful, June Lilian.

Do you have William (probably recorded as Wilhelm in German) 's father's name and occupation from his marriage cert?

Have you looked for other Rosenbaum's born Stettin on the census? Is it possible that William might have been Jewish?
    ~ with love from Little Nell~
    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

This site is likely to be useful to you:

JCR-UK Greater London Jewish Community

Christine
      Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

can i also add

Getting Started - Acts of Parliament and the Records

Family history | Naturalisation
        wye surrey/london/birmingham
        lawrence/laurence berkshire/london/norfolk
        hall harrison cook/e pratt surrey
        ebbage maltby pratt norfolk
        herbert pratt yorkshire/hampshire
        armstrong/rickinson/harrison/beddington yorkshire

Comment

My ancestor Julius Fritz came to London from just south of Stettin in 1858. He was born in 1834. I found his naturalisation papers in the National Archives which contained a wealth of valuable information. Have you done the same?
          Last edited by Paul Barton, Special Agent; 09-02-08, 17:54.
          Paul Barton, Special Agent

Hear my themetune on http://www.turnipnet.com/radio/dickbarton.wav

Comment

;)OH dear
            I've been looking in that area for jonks and have made little progress - except where my geoography and history is concerned. Stettin is now a town as well as a county and a province and has been occupied many times by different conquerers. Do you have any other place names, religion, etc? Parishes for Lutherans, Roman Catholics and civil registrations were seperate. And yes there is always a possibility of Jewishness either of state or religion......i know its a worry:(

* try this site: http://www.sggee.org/
            Soc for German Geneology in Easrern Europe
            [COLOR="Purple"]Its Canadian based - Non members can search names and places - only found it recently but seems excellent[/COLOR]
            Last edited by Delightful Dukkie; 09-02-08, 20:34.

Comment

Going back to the thread title, I do have German ancestors but they were RC and from Baden. And fortunately the IGI transcribed their village church baptisms and marriages.
              Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

re, my plea for info, regarding my gg grandad.

;)Hi everyone, still no further with my search for William Frederick Augustus Rosenbaum, I do know that Stettin was a great big Port/Town, and is now called Szczecin, and is part of Poland, I am going to try the Lambeth Archives to see if they can help, many thanks for all your advice, and I will keep you posted on what I find out, I did get an e-mail from someone who is decendant, from Williams youngest Daughter ( my great great aunt) Elizabeth, so leaving my e-mail address in different places does sometimes brings results, warmest wishes to you all, June.:p

Comment

Working...
                X