Help with Cottinghams of Mayfield please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with Cottinghams of Mayfield please

Hi Chris in Sussex,I am researching the Cottingham's of Mayfield,any ideas please?

Hello, Brian (?).

Welcome to FTF.

Where is the Mayfield to which you are referring? There may be more than one in the country (which country?).

Have you had a look in the FTF Wiki? there are lots of ideas and links there - many of them by place, some by name.

Have you tried the FTF GedCom matching area? You don't get access to people's trees, here, but you can see if your target name turns up on other people's trees - and you can contact them.

Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Presumably Mayfield Sussex (used to have a railway station, which is why I recognised the placename).
      Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

I have the 1851 Census list for Mayfield. Some of my Ancestors came from there too.
        Grampa Jim passed away September 2011

Comment

There is a Mayfield in Staffordshire too

Comment

If it's Sussex - then there'll be stuff on the FTF Wiki, and there may be some matches in the FTF GedCom bit.

In the meantime, these links may be useful, if you haven't found them already...
            Sussex Family History Group Home Page
            Sussex Record Society - Home Page

Christine
            Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Thanks all, I am sorry I have been a little vague,It is Mayfield in Sussex. I am quite far down the line in my research,Although I have'nt yet visited Mayfield I have all the cencus records for that area.I suppose I am looking to a time before cencus began I have some names going back to 1650 but there are a lot of gaps to fill,it was just an idea,after all I am a newbie so not quite up to speed with this site also I would like to submit a profile which I know I have'nt down yet,help with this would me good. B

Comment

Brian - have a look at the following thread which will show you how to add information to your own User Page in the Wiki

If you want to have a look at some examples then click on any of the links in post #2 of this thread

If you need any help then just shout!
                Elaine

Comment

picture profile

How do I add a picture profile?

Comment

The easiest way to do it is to upload an image into Photobucket and then copy the url and paste it into your user page.
                    It is similar to adding avatars.

The following threads may help you.

Elaine

Comment

Information pre-census is mainly from parish records. As you have some going back to the 1600s you aren't doing too badly for a newbie - its further than I've managed!

What isn't online will be in the relevant county records office

East Sussex Record Office
                      ~ with love from Little Nell~
                      Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Try this Site.

It is really excellent.

The history, genealogy and topography of the Weald of Kent, Surrey and Sussex
                        Grampa Jim passed away September 2011

Comment

Thanks elaine you continue to be a real help,thanks again. B

Comment

Working...
                          X