Here's an interesting one

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Here's an interesting one

Not one of mine, but an entry I happened to come across in the death indexes:

Charles Verdun Knight, born 6th September 1917

Looks like there might be a story behind that one, especially given the date - maybe his father had fought at Verdun?

And on a lighter note, another entry found during the same search:

Christmas Knight
    Michael, aged 1/4 of a century

I found out recently that one of husband's uncles had Verdun as a middle name. This wasn't on his funeral order of service, I just found it in his birth registration. He was born 1924, so well after the battle. No idea why!

I was curious, so just did a search with Verdun as first/middle name on Ancestry - there are 370 births in the index and then again more in the 1984-2004 one.

Of course Verdun was a French town with a lot of history, so maybe those not actually born 1916 or so, weren't connected to the battle, but perhaps parents had visited or conceived child there. Or it may have been a memorial to a male relative who'd died but who perhaps had a common Christian name or one the parents didn't like for some reasons.
    ~ with love from Little Nell~
    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

It could be argued that "Christmas" just looks stranger to today's eyes than, say, "Natalie" - which, itself, is alongside "Pascal" (for Easter-born children), month-names, season-names and so on.

Christine
      (PS - My name was chosen for my mother's maiden name. I'd have been Christopher, had I been a boy... if you see what I mean!)
      Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

There are also 99 Waterloos, 13 Agincourts, 7 Dunkirks - see, I've wasted time looking at this, I should be sorting out my Purveys!

Comment

I have several EASTERs in my tree. I thought they meant Esther, but no, they did mean Easter.

OC

Comment

OC, I have certainly seen Easter used as an alternative spelling of Esther - for instance, on that merchant seaman pension petition I ordered a copy of a few weeks ago - his daughter's name is given as Easter on that but it is Esther on her baptism, marriage, etc.

OH has a (male) ancestor whose middle name was Alma - we always wonder if it was because of the Crimean War or for some other reason.
            KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
            (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

I also have a couple of men with the Christian name Alma in my tree, which I thought was odd, but I discovered recently that it was the name of a battle in the Crimean war, so I should think that was the reason.

Comment

One of the names I am researching is Abell, Whilst looking for variations I have come accross "Mary Christmas Able" being baptised in 1799.

Comment

There are 4 Merry Christmas' listed on Ancestry.

Comment

Christine, I'm not saying that Christmas as a first name is particularly strange in itself, just that it sounds slightly unfortunate alongside that particular surname!
                    Michael, aged 1/4 of a century

Comment

I accidentally set FTM to use the American form of women's names (Christian name, maiden name, married surname), and was surprised to find a Mary Pool Hall on my tree.

Comment

I'm presently transcribing 1916 june births and Verdun has cropped up dozens of times as a first name!

Comment

The matching of first and surnames has given much hilarity. My favourite was from helping someone out on GR. She was looking for the family history of Rosie TROLLOP(E) the popular barmaid, who'd married the son of the widow-publican in a village in the Bristol/Bath area.

I did the usual playing around with Historical Directories and with consecutive censuses and BMD lists. I found that her father's name had been Hugh TROLLOP(E). I worked out when the parents were likely to have married and that her mother's name was Julia.

Have a look at 1870 Q1 Bath 5c-968, and you'll see why I thought it such a delight! (Even better had she opted for the American name-form mentioned above: name maiden-name husband's name.)

Christine
                          Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Comment

I've got Inkerman Wells on my tree!

He was never born, baptised, died or buried, of course, but he is on the 1861!

Comment

Originally posted by Merry Monty Montgomery View Post
                                I've got Inkerman Wells on my tree!

He was never born, baptised, died or buried, of course, but he is on the 1861!
                                He must have got fed up of being attacked by quill pens.:D:D
                                Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Working...
                                X