Other stuff on Ancestry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Other stuff on Ancestry

Along with, I suspect, most people, I use Ancestry primarily for the census returns and BMD indexes. I'm aware they have various other records - has anyone made much use of any of them? The only other ones I've really looked at are the Topographical Directories, which provide a mine of information on each town and village.
    Michael, aged 1/4 of a century

Pallots Marriages and Baptisms are very useful - Lots of success with those.
    Elizabeth
    Research Interests:
    England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
    Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

Didn't spot an Oxford Alumni "Hit"... had presumed ( :o bad idea in research!) that I needn't be looking that far down the page!

It wasn't direct-line, but added some "colour" to a branch - and who knows when that extra bit of detail will be needed?!

Christine
      Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

There is some wonderful stuff on there if you take the time to look through. In the directories section, for instance, and in the "parish and probate" stuff - if you're lucky enough to have ancestors in one of the parishes that is covered then you might find lots about them. For instance, I had a brickwall with my ancestor James Ferrier - then I found him listed in the Roll of Edinburgh Burgesses on ancestry and it gave me his father's name and occupation which meant I could trace his family backwards, forwards, sideways...
        KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
        (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

I think the British Army WW1 Indexes are good - although sometimes the indexes aren't that great. I managed to find a previously unknown son of my great grandparents which wasn't what I was looking for at all.

Of course, my great grandfather on my 'other side' (who I was looking for) hasn't been added even though I know he suffered badly from gassing during WW1. I'm not sure if this is being added to or what's there is all that there will be. I challenge anyone to look at those and not start searching for all their surnames!!!!
          :D Charney Jo

Comment

The Army pension records are great!

I found my Gt Grandfather's record in the territorials at the Woolwich arsenal.
            He was discharged because of his corns, but I think I remember someone on here having a poor rellie 'discharged' because of piles, poor chap.
            And the main thing about finding my chap was that it gave his address and the names and ages of wife and kids including my Grandad. Brilliant!
            Last edited by allie island; 09-02-08, 17:49.
            Alison

Researching:
            CAVE, CUCKOW/COSHOW, DAKIN, GILBERT, GINN, HUXLEY, LEATT, LETTEN, PATTERSON, PERRY, PORTER, SOMMERVILLE, WEEDON, WHITING
            http://www.authonomy.com/ViewBook.aspx?bookid=1025
            http://www.authonomy.com/ViewBook.aspx?bookid=2650

Comment

Working...
            X