Wedding photograph puzzle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wedding photograph puzzle

I am really confused! I have some professional looking photos of a marriage in 1948. In the middle are the bride and groom. To the right of the bride is the bride's mother and one of the witnesses, (on the bride's side) plus, I guess, his wife. - no problem there I think - (phew!)

The puzzle is that standing to the left of the groom are two more people - one I believe is the groom's witness - the other it seems was the groom's putative Aunt -

I have always been told that the groom's mother was at the wedding - so why on earth would her sister be the one in all the photos?

I can't expect anyone to know the answer - but just wondered if anyone had any ideas.

Thanks
    Joan died in July 2020.

Is she his real mother?
    Pam

Comment

Or did she have a major part in his upbringing?
      Pam

Comment

Pamdidle, thank you - I am beginning to wonder the same thing as you.
        Joan died in July 2020.

Comment

maybe the mother didn't want to be in the pictures so her sister stood in for her.
          Vikki -
          Researching Titchmarsh and Tushingham

Comment

Oh Joan - have you solved one of your family puzzles ;)
            Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Thanks, Vikki -
              it's all got so complicated it does me 'ed in!!

The person I believed was the groom's mother may well not have been, and her sister in the photo does not seem a likely candidate either
              Joan died in July 2020.

Comment

because the Sister was in fact his Mother ????????????

Comment

Yes, Val!!!! Just what I thought - yet there is still no birth certificate - ( you know what I mean)
                  Joan died in July 2020.

Comment

its very frustrating for you Joan, cant you send Rachel or somebody a copy of the photo maybe they can see if they are related, I cant imagine many mothers not wanting to be photographed at their sons wedding !!!!!

Comment

If they were sisters they'd look alike perhaps, especially maybe when they were younger. Or maybe they took photos with Mum in and then one of aunt which is the one you've got.
                      ~ with love from Little Nell~
                      Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Working...
                      X