• Show
Clear All

• Received into the church?

Can anyone tell me what this means on a Baptism, Received into the church

Anne was born 9th Feb 1856, Baptised 11th Feb 1856 received 4th May 1856

Thank you
    Vikki -
    Researching Titchmarsh and Tushingham

Vikki, it probably means that she was initially baptised at home - perhaps because she was poorly and they didn't think she would live long enough to be taken to church to be baptised - then when she was well enough to go they took her to church for the first time.
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Yes, she was baptised at 2 days old, which is very early (most baptisms I've found are around 2 months or so). Probably they thought she wouldn't survive. I think being received into church just meant that she was taken to the building for the first time publicly. But I expect OC has the definitive answer.
      ~ with love from Little Nell~
      Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Any member of the C of E could baptise a baby in extremis - the midwife, the granny, the father, the scullerymaid, anyone.

A baby cannot be baptised twice in the C of E, so that emergency baptism stood as the definitive baptism.

If the child survived then it would be "received into the church" which involved a different ceremony from the baptism service.

Baptism is to call God's attention to one of his souls. Receiving into the church is admitting the child into the body of the Church on earth. A "normal" church baptism does both at the same time.

OC

Comment

Thank you Kite, Nell and OC

I shall add that to my list of useful facts.
          Vikki -

Comment

If you have a Book of Common Prayer prayer book in the house, (an awful lot of these are given as baptism gifts), take a look. There is a specific service in there for Private Baptism of Infants. The first page consists of "I baptise thee in the Name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Ghost. Amen" followed by a prayer of thanks and is the private part. and the next 6 pages sets out the service for receiving the child into the church starting with the statement:
            "I certify you that according to the due and prescribed Order of the Church at (time) and at (place) before divers witnesses, I baptized this child"
            which is to be used by the minister when the child is taken to church
            or a series of questions and answers about how the child was baptised which is to be used if someone other than the minister carried out the original private baptism. "Then if the minister shall find by the answers of such as bring the Child, that all things were done as they ought to be; then shall not he christen the child again but shall receive him as one of the flock of true christian people saying thus,
            I certify you that in this case all is well done and according to due order concerning the baptism of this child......."
            which then leads on to prayers and readings which are very similar to those used in a public baptism.
            Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

Thanks Judith for that, I don't have any prayer books in the house, so thank you for taking the time to type out the terms used
              Vikki -

Comment

Working...
              X