Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Signing on marriage cert

Hi

at what time was it considered normal for people to actually sign their names rather than just x, Especially for women? Or does it not mean much that someone does sign their name?

Many thanks
    Robyne

Name interests: Alderton, Osborne, Danslow, Hanley, Bowkett, Lakin, Elliott, Banner, Walters, Reed, Deighton, Sleight, Dungar ;)

I'm not sure whether there was a "normal" - though the bringing in of universal education made an impact on illiteracy.

There have also been a number of occasions when people here have remarked that their folks have put an X, even though it was known that they could write at the time. That's usually been put down to awe of authority: "Put your X here!" was regarded as an instruction for which "But wouldn't it be better if I signed my name?" was not an optional reply.

Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Im the other way, i have a marriage from 1819 where both parties sign. I thought it just seemed odd that the wife would have signed. Does this presume literacy or does it just mean they learnt to spell their own name?
      Robyne

Name interests: Alderton, Osborne, Danslow, Hanley, Bowkett, Lakin, Elliott, Banner, Walters, Reed, Deighton, Sleight, Dungar ;)

Comment

It could be that she just knew how to sign her name, but many women could read and write, I have a copy of a marriage where the wife signed in 1774.
        Vikki -
        Researching Titchmarsh and Tushingham

Comment

I have some early 19th century (and before) marriages where the bride and groom have signed. My gt x 2 grandfather Emmets Matthews signed as "Emits" (bless!).

Then there was a spate of XXXs until the 1870s/80s. Husband's Welsh lot seem to be less literate and also more prolific in having babies.
          ~ with love from Little Nell~
          Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

In fact most of mine don't start becoming illiterate until the mid nineteenth century - almost all of them could at least sign their names before that, and you can tell by the assurance with which they write their names that they could write more than just their names.

This was a big surprise to me at first but I have since learned that rural children were far more likely to go to school pre 1850 than town children. Most villages appear to have had some sort of church school which was available to all.

In one parish register, the Vicar had used the register to record the oath of alliegiance in 1642. Over 150 men signed it, most wrote their names and even those who couldn't, made elaborate and rather beautiful marks which were obviously well practised.

OC

Comment

Given the way my script has degenerated over time, in the specific context of my "signature", it's possible that some people might well view it as a "mark" rather than a signature! :D

Christine
              Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Working...
              X