Opinions; Which child.........

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opinions; Which child.........

A couple married in Q3 1909. They had a daughter in Q4 1911 but they also had a son who was the first born.

There are a three possibles;

#1 George Edward Q3 1909
    #2 Harold Edward Q1 1910
    #3 John Q2 1910

Dad was called Edward Charles, grandad was called George (the mothers' father was called Roades/Rhoades so nothing obvious there).

#1 is a bit close to the marriage but the names match well for a naming pattern
    #2 is a good fit between the marriage and the second child,
    #3 could have been named after a great grandfather but is 70+years after the death of said grt grandfather.

I wonder if i should order #1 and #2 with a ref check from the local office but specify the parents names.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
    My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
    My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

I would have thought the first one might be less likely as the registration is the same Q as the marriage. I think the majority of pregant bride's would try to marry before the bump showed too much if at all possible. If the marriage took place after the birth, then the chances are the marriage wouldn't take place for at least a few weeks, which might take them into the next Q, if not later.

Do you know the son lived? You could check the deaths registered in case and of these three can be discounted.

Comment

You can't rely on naming patterns, especially in more modern times and with relatively popular names.

Similarly, lots of babies were born indecently quickly after (or before) their parents' marriages, so that isn't a clue either.

John is so common a name you can't assume it was choses to name after a gt grandfather.

I'd suggest either phoning the register office and asking about parents' names OR waiting for 1911 census.
      ~ with love from Little Nell~
      Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

This is my complicated Chambers family group.

Dad died in 1951 and there were 5 daughters and four sons alive at the time.

I have found ten births (5 male, 5 female) but there was a set of twin boys born in 1917 who both died at a few weeks.

My maths needs checking but 10 confirmed births less two confirmed deaths equals 8 surviving children (5 girls and 3 boys) so i'm missing a son somewhere.

The only thing that drew me to #1 and #2 was the name Edward (after the father?)

Most of my pregnant brides were only four or five months gone when they wed so #1 would be unusual for this family (though it is not impossible obviously :D)

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

Originally posted by Glen in Tinsel Knickers View Post
          there were 5 daughters and four sons alive at the time.
          How do you know this?

Comment

I would say the same as Nell - in the late 1800s & early 1900s, I've found very few of my ancestors gave their children the 'family names'.
            Helen

http://www.familytreeforum.com/wiki/...enSmithToo-296

Comment

Newspaper cuttings (one for the inquest, one relating to the funeral and one "with thanks" message posted by the family shortly after the funeral)

All name the same nine children (by christian name) and all those names match the post 1911 birth index with mmn.

Add in the 1947-1956 electoral lists i picked up the approx years of birth for the later kids and cross matched to the bmd.

I just can't say where the couple lived from 1928-1939 or so to try and find the elusive first born child (assuming he was still living at home)

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

Working...
              X