Archive CD collections go to Ancestry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Archive CD collections go to Ancestry

Apologies if this has already been mentioned.

Just had a newsletter from the IHGS and apparantly Archive CD Books has made an agreement for Ancestry.co.uk to host its collections now it has ceased trading.

I wonder when they will appear?
    Avatar....My darling mum, Irene June Robinson nee Pearson 1931-2019.

'Take nothing on its looks, take everything on evidence. There is no better rule' Charles Dickens, Great Expectations.

Archive CD Books ceased trading before xmas from its British Office as Rod retired however it is still possible to purchase disks online through the company or online stockists.

Archive CD Books is still going strong even though Rod has decided to allow Ancestry to host his collections (these are those that Rod produced not the other offices) also more importantly new cds of old books are still being produced regualarly.
    Last edited by samesizedfeet; 07-02-08, 22:20.

Comment

I was just reading about this in Ancestors magazine, and it seemed to suggest that the digital copies of the books are going to be uploaded onto the ancestry website. Does anybody know if that's true? It would be brilliant if they are!
      KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
      (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Why Not PM him? he IS a member here.... isnt he?
        Julie
        They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

I have emailed Brian of Archive CD Books Ireland who now supplies the UK's disks reference this and will post his response as soon as I have it. Please note that UK books are still being scanned on a weekly basis and these new books will not be available through Ancestry it will only be the books that Rod produced.

Comment

As promised a response from Archive CD Books Ireland with regards to Ancestry (please note that he is only going on what he has been told).

Not everything will be available at Ancestry as I understand it. They are not getting the Philimore series, or the Harliean series.

The main advantage of having the titles on CD is that you have them permanently, and don't have to subscribe every year. The image quality will almost certainly be better on CD too, as you can deal with large images easily on CD, but they are very slow to download. So I suspect Ancestry will reduce the resolution to reduce file sizes.

I hope this clears up the question.

Comment

Working...
            X