Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• David John Pass

This man (my grandfather actually) has given me no end of grief :(

One of the mysteries I cannot solve is where he is on the 1901 Wales Census.

His father, Stephen, died in 1890 and David and his sister Lily (b 1899) must have been looked after by relatives whilst their mother Hannah worked. David appears in 1891 Piece 4476 Folio 69 Page 12 as a 'nephew' and Lily in 1901 Piece 5015 Folio 85 Page 34 as a 'visitor'.

But of David John in 1901 - zilch.

Hannah may have re-married, (can't see any evidence) but the children have obviously kept their father's name.

'Pass' sometimes acquires an 'e' and has occasionally appeared as 'Bass', but this hasn't helped either. (Just thought you'd like to know!)

Any budding Sherlocks out there please!!

Thank you

Gwyn
    Freya - a lovely, funny human-friendly disaster waiting to happen....

1891 reference is page 11 if anyone is trying to find him - not 12 !
    Elaine

Comment

What an idiot Elaine - I even got a jeweller's loupe out to look closer at the image and I stiil got it wrong - sorreee!!

Gwyn

Comment

no problem

Where and when was Hannah born?
        Elaine

Comment

There is a marriage on freeBMD

Marriages Mar 1900

Hannah Pass
          to either
          Thomas Thomas or William Vaughan
          Cardiff 11a 452

I am wondering if she remarried and David is recorded under step father's name.
          Elaine

Comment

Hannah was born in Swansea in 1866, daughter of David Davies and Mary Sophia Jones RG10 Piece 5448 Folio 31 Page 7.

I have her marriage certificate for 1886 and David's birth certificate for 19 May 1887.

The family seems to have been based in Wales all the way through - but I have tried England too!

Gwyn

Comment

Again Elaine - funny that Lily should keep her name and John maybe not - could it have been used purely on the census when it was presumed that he was the 'father's' son? He married my grandmother with the name 'Passe' - the 'e' re-appeared then!

Gwyn

ps Have to go off for an hour or two - will check back later.
              Last edited by Oscar; 07-02-08, 16:53. Reason: Absence from board explained

Comment

Working...
              X